Tabs?

caponi14
caponi14
06/16/2009 1:57 pm
How come i have such difficulties reading tabs unless it's just simple chord changes?

I want to learn new songs. I have learned some songs by just listening, but i can't get them all by ear yet (1 year of playing)

How do i get better at reading tabs? Because, they really confuse me and i quickly loose consentration! I know all the signs of the tabs, but i can't quite get it together....

Damn annoying!
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/16/2009 2:33 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14How come i have such difficulties reading tabs unless it's just simple chord changes?[/quote]
Same reason anyone has problems doing anything with ease and confidence: lack of practice.
[QUOTE=caponi14]
I want to learn new songs.

I suggest you start to learn by using real music notation (in the form of sheet music - paper or digital). It has all the necessary info. Whereas with "tabs" (especially free ones from the web) you don't always get all the info and the info that is there is usually wrong or at best inaccurate.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
06/16/2009 9:03 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelSame reason anyone has problems doing anything with ease and confidence: lack of practice.

I suggest you start to learn by using real music notation (in the form of sheet music - paper or digital). It has all the necessary info. Whereas with "tabs" (especially free ones from the web) you don't always get all the info and the info that is there is usually wrong or at best inaccurate.

Another great tool is using Guitar Pro 5 which is becoming the standard for tabs now. What it does is not only shows you the tab, but also includes the music notation(So you can see the relationship), and plays the song while showing you the movement of the score so you can actually see how the tab sounds at a specific part in the song. you then have all sorts of tools to loop, change tempo etc.

There is a free trial for a short period, but it is worth buying the registered copy. You can then find tabs in Guitar Pro format all over the net. The only thing is Guitar Pro needs to have a somewhat powerful computer to work correctly(Since it is recreating the sound of the tab). I wasn't a believer at first but finally realized Guitar Pro is here to stay.
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 3
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
06/17/2009 2:05 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegel

I've been running into that. Lots of inaccurate and hard to read tabs are easily available on the net. The best I''ve found is some good books that have 100 songs and I'm interested in only 3 or 4. Can anyone recommend a good site/publisher/location to get professional style sheet music and tabs (without killing my wallet)?

GG
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/17/2009 12:38 pm
Originally Posted by: guitarplayer196
Another great tool is using Guitar Pro 5 which is becoming the standard for tabs now.[/quote]
I agree with this! Virtually any MIDI engine will help you do this. But Guitar Pro 5 and Power Tabs are the most guitar user friendly. In fact GT scores are created by using GP5. :) It is a wonderful program.

However, again I offer a word of warning. Those Guitar Pro format tabs you can find all over the net aren't always accurate either.
[QUOTE=GuitardedGeezer]Can anyone recommend a good site/publisher/location to get professional style sheet music and tabs (without killing my wallet)?

I've been using any and all the following with success now for a few years.

http://www.musicnotes.com/
http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/
http://www.music44.com/
http://www.freehandmusic.com/

You can typically find most anything you want on at least one of them. You can download it directly from the site and print or view on your screen. Many of them offer a MIDI file to go along with the notation. And it is a good deal to buy only the song you want for a few dollars.

Best of success with it!
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 5
GuitardedGeezer
GuitardedGeezer
06/18/2009 1:47 am
Thanks for those sites! They look good so far and I will give them a try.

GG
# 6
Ed Jalowiecki
Ed Jalowiecki
06/18/2009 2:30 am
IMHO, tabs can be best used in a few different ways. At first, they can be used as a general guideline of how to play a song, which will jump start the learning process, especially if you're pressed for time (preparing for a gig, rehearsal, etc.)

If you're more focused on ear training (which is an essential skill), tabs can be used to check yourself along the way as you're figuring something out by ear. Ideally, you'd want to figure out as much as you can on your own, and only use the tab for the parts that completely baffle you.

In the end, no tabs are 100% accurate, because it all depends on the interpretation of the transcriber. Besides, why waste time trying to track down tabs to your favorite songs, when you can spend that time (and save money) learning it yourself?
# 7
caponi14
caponi14
06/18/2009 8:31 am
Yeah, but it's just that im not very good when the rythme parts in songs get a little advanced. And it's not getting better with not being able to read the tabs properly, and know how to play the rythme part because the guitar line in some songs are faded in the other imstruments playing :/

But i quess it's just a matter of practice..... Even though i spend nearly all my day on guitar since im not going to school right now...

Thanks for the advises though
# 8
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/18/2009 12:27 pm
In theory, you can use your EQ to boost the guitar parts and reduce the level of the others. I have Guitar & Drum trainer, which sounds similar to Song Surgeon recently offered in the sign up deal here. It's a bit cheaper if you wanted to try it. (I think around $50.)

It has a 62 band EQ, so you could almost certainly isolate the guitar tracks you want.

http://renegademinds.com/
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 9
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/18/2009 12:31 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14Yeah, but it's just that im not very good when the rythme parts in songs get a little advanced. And it's not getting better with not being able to read the tabs properly,

The vast majority of tabs do not have the rhythm info you need to know in order to play the parts! That is why music notation is vastly superior (in the form of sheet music or MIDI files - Guitar Pro or PowerTab).

An example to illustrate; how do you play this line of music:

E |-------------------------|
B |----5-4-----4-4-2--------|
G |---------4---------4-2-1-|
D |-2-----------------------|
A |-------------------------|
E |-------------------------|

What's missing from that tab? The info that tells you when to play each note. How long does each note last? How quickly do you move on to the next note?

The tab does not contain that info. Music notation would contain that info in the form of rhythmic symbols. Learning how to properly read music will vastly improve your ability to understand and play any music you come up against.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 10
hunter1801
hunter1801
06/19/2009 5:55 pm
I'd also like to reiterate how great Guitar Pro is. It's all I use now. I can sit in front of the computer and play whatever song I want, loop it, slow it down, turn on a metronome, ect. You won't regret buying it.
# 11
caponi14
caponi14
06/20/2009 10:27 am
I think i will buy it :) short on money at the moment though.....

Thanks folks!
# 12
Ed Jalowiecki
Ed Jalowiecki
06/22/2009 2:35 am
Originally Posted by: caponi14Yeah, but it's just that im not very good when the rythme parts in songs get a little advanced. And it's not getting better with not being able to read the tabs properly, and know how to play the rythme part because the guitar line in some songs are faded in the other imstruments playing :/

Sounds like you may need to study some basic rhythmic notation & get used to counting beats and measures along with songs. So much of this can be done just listening and clapping your hands or tapping along with the music. If you can find the basic pulse of the music and tap along with difficult passages, you're halfway to figuring out the rhythm of a phrase.
# 13
caponi14
caponi14
06/22/2009 10:37 am
I don't have a problem following the rythme as soon as i acually know which notes to play? It's hard to explain, but the tabs just confuses me if they variate alot, quess it's just a matter of experience and practice, even though i practice all day long...

Im gonna try guitar pro 5 out, alot of good talk about it.
# 14
1Life1Chance
1Life1Chance
07/18/2009 3:22 pm
Well, you've only been playing a year so no matter which route you go you're only going to get better. For tablature to get the rhythm down you just have to listen to the music and follow along. That's usually your only option with online tabs. if you are confused by the tab itself it's probably only because you can't recognize a "g chord" or "g arpeggio" right off the bat and that just comes with practice. There is a little bit of a learning curve but nowhere near that of standard notation. Also, many of the free tabs online are inaccurate and just a good guideline at best. Most books have the standard notation and tablature together which is nice because then you can see the rhythm. Of course they are much more expensive and are not error free either although they are much better. My advice is that it really depends on what your end goal is. Standard notation is the complete route and the nice thing is that it translates to all other instruments. If you want to compose your own music or work with other musicians it's definitely the better bet. I think as a guitarist (other than the classical genres) you are going to want to learn tablature too though just because of the availability alone of free tablature. If you just plan on playing in a band with other guitar players, bass and drums maybe another instrument here or there you can get away with just tablature. Definitely standard notation if you are looking to make a career in music.

I've been using Guitar Pro for years now (i think version 1) and it is the greatest song learning tool i've ever seen. it gives you the best of both worlds (standard notation and tablature). You can "play" the tablature and play along, adjust speed but not pitch etc etc. Well worth the money and if you couldn't afford it and are a true enthusiast it just might be out there on some torrent sites ;) Plus both the standard notation and tablature print out really nice!!!!
# 15
Mike51
Mike51
07/31/2009 5:49 pm
A lot of good thoughts here.

Most TAB lacks time signature and time value of each note. So if you don't know what the song sounds like you have no idea how much time to allocate to each note. The programs mentioned here are good because they overcome this problem.

Some of the problems that I have had in early on with reading TAB is that I saw TAB as just a string of notes. Until I realized that the notes were either chords or partial chords. Of course the full chord is easy to recognize.. sometimes partial chords are not as easy. I will sit down with the TAB and figure out what chords are being represented and pencil them in over the TAB. This way instead of just a string of notes, that I have to remember it becomes chords and chord shapes which I find much easier.
# 16
weezthejuice789
weezthejuice789
08/24/2009 2:04 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelSame reason anyone has problems doing anything with ease and confidence: lack of practice.

but what if you are not in the possition to go around and by sheet music?
# 17
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/24/2009 3:49 pm
Originally Posted by: weezthejuice789but what if you are not in the possition to go around and by sheet music?

I don't know what "in the position to go around" means.

If you can't physically get around, or you live in a rural area, then buy them on the web.

If you can't afford them, then ask people that can afford them (parents? friends?) to buy them for you as gifts or charity.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 18
weezthejuice789
weezthejuice789
08/24/2009 3:59 pm
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelI don't know what "in the position to go around" means.

If you can't physically get around, or you live in a rural area, then buy them on the web.

If you can't afford them, then ask people that can afford them (parents? friends?) to buy them for you as gifts or charity.

dude chill out i meant getting arond like trying to by them and were to by them for that matter.
and maybe were i live people dont give a **** about music and getting involved in it. so whats easy for you maybe tough for the rest of us. we all cant just start charging the credit cards to by tabs online!
# 19
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
08/24/2009 5:04 pm
Originally Posted by: weezthejuice789we all cant just start charging the credit cards to by tabs online!

In the old days, I would work it out listening to it and learning it. Maybe I had the album, or maybe just caught it on tape from the radio. Either way, it was free and good ear practice. I also could not afford to throw the charge card at everything, so most songs I ever learned, I learned that way.

I didn't have a charge card. Didn't have any money. Didn't have the internet for that matter. And yet somehow I think life was better back then. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.