Where is "The Edge"

guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
06/10/2009 10:09 pm
I just became a full member. In your home page advertisement you talk about "Artist Inspiration" studies and list the The Edge from U2 as one of them:

(Quoted from your home page)
" Artist Inspiration"
Or, if you like to think more in terms of artists who inspire you, you will enjoy Guitar Tricks' Artist Studies Series which teaches you styles and techniques by popular artists such as Eric Clapton, Steve Vai, Carlos Santana, B.B. King, David Gilmour, The Edge, and over 50 more."

But now that I'm a member, he's not listed as one of the artists (or under his real name David Evans). I was really interested in studying some of his technique and feel a bit slighted especiallly considering that you listed him under the description for that section. Unless maybe I'm looking in the wrong place.

Can you check into this
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/10/2009 11:36 pm
You're absolutely right.

I feel really bad.

I will update that text so that it is more accurate.

Also, we will scout somebody who can do a good in the style of for this artist.

He is one of my favorites too.

Back in the really old days of this site (before video), I did a lesson on this style. Check it out here:

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=2142

The key to the style is to get the delay ms in time with the bpm of the song.

This is the only time in my life I ever use algebrae:

60 Seconds / Song BPM = Delay amount for quarter notes

Example:

60/120 BPM = 500ms

In the lesson I did linked above, I use 300ms to get a synchopated 3rd 16th note that comes in just before every note I play.

We'll do a full treatment of this in a modern video style, but it will take a while to get it done. Meanwhile I will fix the text, thanks for letting us know.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
06/11/2009 6:31 am
I was wondering how to figure that out.
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 3
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
06/11/2009 6:03 pm
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickYou're absolutely right.

I feel really bad.

I will update that text so that it is more accurate.

Also, we will scout somebody who can do a good in the style of for this artist.

He is one of my favorites too.

Back in the really old days of this site (before video), I did a lesson on this style. Check it out here:

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=2142

The key to the style is to get the delay ms in time with the bpm of the song.

This is the only time in my life I ever use algebrae:

60 Seconds / Song BPM = Delay amount for quarter notes

Example:

60/120 BPM = 500ms

In the lesson I did linked above, I use 300ms to get a synchopated 3rd 16th note that comes in just before every note I play.

We'll do a full treatment of this in a modern video style, but it will take a while to get it done. Meanwhile I will fix the text, thanks for letting us know.

Jon

Thanks - I know how he gets the delay settings - It can be a bit more complicated then that in that he usually uses 2 delay units and also uses natural delay (mic placement). The is a more than exhaustive study on it here:

http://www.amnesta.net/edge_delay/

Pretty interesting if you really want to know. His setting are usually set so the notes fall between 8th notes (3 1/16ths). This info also uses the formula you discussed. Problem is when playing live getting the drummer right on, otherwise the delay won't work(Which is why the edge uses faint reference notes at the beginning of songs(Like Streets) - which also sounds cool.

What I am more interested in is learning his style, in that he plays broken variations of chords on top of the underlying chord progression(Or what the Bass is playing), and his choice of higher notes generate implied chords when played over the bass(Or an acoustic playing Rhythm).

This is really hard fro me in that I know scales and chords, but don't know how to use various intervals to give a unique sound.

Looking forward to some insight down the road.

Thanks,
"I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if its the right one and it will probably whip the guy with 20 notes." Les Paul - 2002
# 4
Carmine M
Carmine M
08/20/2009 8:36 pm
Jon
Have you found an instructor for the Edge lesson? My delay is ready.
Carmine

Regards,

cm

# 5
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
08/24/2009 11:03 pm
Originally Posted by: carminemarottaJon
Have you found an instructor for the Edge lesson? My delay is ready.
Carmine

Me too, especially after seeing the new Guitar documentary "It Might Get Loud" released in limited theaters with The Edge, Jimmy Page, and Jack White. Really start to realize that there is more to The Edge's technique than just slapping on a delay.

Since it is obvious that U2 is still one of the biggest bands in the World and The Edge is considered a pioneer, a style tutorial is greatly needed.
# 6
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
08/25/2009 2:04 am
We have a bunch of new instrutors filming right now, but none of them really have that particular skill. I really thought it would be easy to find, but it isn't for some reason.

I missed your previous note further explaining what you are looking for until just now. I will definitely check out that site.

And the film is a great excuse anyway.

We will do a particular search for this skill.

Let me get on it and get back to you.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 7
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
10/21/2009 1:14 am
ahem!

http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=830
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 8
Carmine M
Carmine M
10/21/2009 9:36 am
Boom!!! :d

Regards,

cm

# 9
guitarplayer196
guitarplayer196
10/21/2009 9:59 pm
Sweet - Gotta dig in when I can find the time. I've been buried in modes at the moment
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.