The Beatles

MagicalMystery
MagicalMystery
06/07/2009 9:51 pm
So, is anyone interested in The Beatles on this website? I am interested in The Beatles for the meaningful songs such as Hey Jude, Let it Be, and the like. George Harrison's guitar playing is wonderful too.

Discuss:
The Beatles
Songs
Members

# 1
DockStone
DockStone
06/10/2009 11:17 pm
Well, I don't know what more can be said about the Beatles. So much has been written about them and will continue to be.

The most remarkable thing about them was their phenomenal success, seemingly unparalleled ever since. They were popular and famous globally. It seemed the entire planet had an extreme case of Beatlemania. Many years later, all things-Beatles sells. The upcoming remasters will probably set new records.

The Beatles were the biggest band but as solo artists none of them really lived up to Beatles potential. Paul McCartney had the most successful post-Beatles career in terms of album sales. He also toured and did zillions of concerts. None of the others can touch him in this respect. Come to think of it, maybe Ringo could. Ringo was always very musically active and performing. He just couldn't write songs to put him on the level of the others.

Re: George, I've always believed him to be largely underrated. But I think he was an important underpinning to the Beatles cohesiveness in the sense of being a buffer and support between John and Paul. He was subservient to them and did what was expected of him. I love his guitar work all around on their records. Some of it simple and repetitive, e.g. "And I love Her," but utterly charming and engaging. Also: "Day Tripper," repetitive but solid and good (or did the studio edit out any errors on that). I mean it's hard to play something over and over without slipping at some point, missing a string or unintentionally muting a fret, right?

George had a limited singing range, but the others knew exactly what songs would work for him. Consider "I only want to dance with you." He does a great job with that tune without straining himself vocally or in having to strive for notes he couldn't reach.

He knew Paul before both of them met John and he was already playing guitar then. I think he was a true guitarist because he was playing when he was very young and must have done so for the pure enjoyment of it. I feel he was a pure musician in the sense that he wasn't aspiring to be in a band in order (cliche) "to meet girls" or to be famous. He could never have imagined how popular the Beatles would be anyway. He played guitar because he was a natural for it. I'll bet he'd be playing guitar today even if he never became famous.

So, this thread could probably go on forever if people start getting going on this subject. Beatles - Beatles - Beatles, an endlessly fascinating band and much food for thought.

Surely, a lot of you guys in bands are puzzling over their fame and wishing you could have a piece of it, if not even more than they did. C'mon - admit it everyone! Aren't you the least bit jealous? I know I am!
# 2
Mick J
Mick J
06/11/2009 10:14 am
The Beatles are icons in the music world. I think their brand of music wasn't particularly as technically refined as some other greats but the point is their brand was unique and their arrangements and diversity was beyond measure.
When I first started learning the guitar I would always enjoy strumming Beatles tunes, they were good for singalong songs.
I've just about got to the stage where I can play Mc Cartney's "Blackbird" up to speed. It's amazing to think that piece was written in a day, ok to some it may be a simple song but I think it's superb for running up and down the fretboard and for a basic picking exercise and It sounds impressive. Got to admit I have yet to master being able to sing along to it, but there again my voice has never been one of my strong points.
# 3
DockStone
DockStone
06/19/2009 11:14 am
Another thought about the Beatles: They were a "guitar" band. They were even labeled as such by the Decca guy who first rejected them. He said something about "guitar bands" going out of style.

Their songs are loaded with interesting guitar work. They really mastered that instrument although no one considered them to be virtuosos.

They probably weren't the world's greatest singers either. It's like John Lennon once said, they were 4 ordinary guys from Liverpool who formed a band that became very very Big! He said this in sort of an underwhelming way, almost as if he was just as surprised by it as anyone else.

So here's my thought for the day: Just because you're not the greatest guitarist, nor the greatest singer, you could still make it Big, impossibly Big. Why? Because the Beatles did! If you see them as Gods, this statement makes no sense. But if you see them as 4 ordinary guys from Liverpool, then maybe you still have a chance! (Unless you think you're extraordinary, of course.)
# 4
Brad Litton
Brad Litton
06/26/2009 6:41 pm
My earliest memory of listening to music is hearing the Abbey Road vinyl on my dad's record player. The contribution that the Beatles have made to music, fashion, and society as a whole(let's face it, they changed everything) still is seen today in what bands are doing and what becomes popular. How often is the very clean, white shirt, black tie, black suit combo in style? it just keeps coming back! One of the biggest accomplishments of the Beatles is that they became timeless before anyone thought about it. They did what they wanted, they played the music they wanted, and it has yet to die(or never will :) ). The Beatles live on and will through generations. Someday music classes in schools will not study Beethoven and Bach as much as they do the Beatles.
# 5
amateurpicker
amateurpicker
08/20/2009 10:02 pm
Why not sample some Beatles fingerpicking pieces, i.e.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUubey-2GPg

and just about perfect:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TyVL-VrFR4
# 6
Itsmesilly
Itsmesilly
08/21/2009 4:21 pm
very much dig the when Im 64....wish I had those piking chops. I feel too dependent on a pick and have been working on "putting it down" and getting my fingers moving. Any suggestions of some easier Beatles tunes for beginning picking?
Thanks!
# 7
MagicalMystery
MagicalMystery
08/22/2009 6:16 am
You should definitely try Blackbird, Her Majesty, I'll Follow the Sun, or Here Comes the sun.

Those are some good songs.
# 8
Jason_Dionne
Jason_Dionne
08/24/2009 2:01 am
I Love the Beatles. the have a beatlestube.com!!!! Awsome.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.