Tuners, and a toneless ear!

Dazoo
Full Access
Dazoo
Full Access
06/07/2009 1:04 am
Greetings all!

This may have been covered elsewhere, but I am too lazy to search for it tonight... What is your favorite tuner?

The reason I ask is this... I have 3, and none of them seem to agree with each other. First is the Planet Waves Chordhamster, second a Korg GA-30 and third the built in on my Line 6 Spider Jam, and FBV Express.

Interesting enough, if I use the reference tuner from here (Mr Schlegel has a great tutorial on it) my tunings seem to land in the middle of the others, but sound better to my ear than the other tuners, which will show sharp or flat.

*** edit ***

I think I just turned this into a multiple part question, or better asked... What is your favorite method of tuning? Going with a electronic gadget, or what your ears say?

Cheers,

Andy
It's better to regret something that you have done than something you haven't.
# 1
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
06/07/2009 1:47 am
If there is a tuner at hand, I will use it. I can tune fine by ear, but I like gadgetry. And maybe I'm a little lazy.

I still have an old Korg GT-60 that I left set on A and ear tuned the rest unless I was tuning to an album. I was never certain I had a perfect A440 just by ear.

Had a Kramer tuner that sucked enormously. I like the one in my RP250, but no real preference. I have a clip on chromatic tuner that I think is pretty neat.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
06/07/2009 3:06 pm
I use an old Boss TU-somethingorother to keep me from getting too far away from accurate pitch, but I still do some ear-based tweaking after I tune to the machine.

Each guitar has its own little variations in intonation that demand individual attention.

I have excellent relative pitch sense, but I couldn't tune a string to a standard frequency to save my life unless I had a reference to relate it to.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.