The Seattle Sound: The Evolution of Chris Cornell -- Scream

wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
05/29/2009 12:20 am
by wildwoman1313

Chris Cornell's Scream

Past behavior being the best predictor of future behavior, Scream is a musical curve ball. If you consider the progression of Chris Cornell’s work--from the brooding dreamscape of Soundgarden’s “Black Hole Sun”, to the scorching, consciousness-raising of Temple of the Dog’s “Hunger Strike”, to the heavy riffing of Audioslave’s “Show Me How to Live”--a next logical step would in no world be electronic pop. That Cornell deviates so brazenly from the trajectory expected of him may play a significant role in the reason so many are up in arms over Scream.

Scream was generating negative buzz long before its March 2009 release. The album marks a seismic shift for the grunge trailblazer who was looking to do something fun, something inspired, when he teamed with hip-hop wizard Timbaland, the producer behind hits for artists like Justin Timberlake, Missy Elliott and Madonna. For most Cornell fans, including those closest to me, enough said. Sellout became the general consensus.

As his third solo effort, Scream is Cornell’s first album ever to make such minimal use of the guitar. It’s a beat-based, synthesized-slick album, full of catchy tunes that are better suited for the dance floor than the mosh pit. Although not a concept album lyrically, the songs bleed into one another, much like Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon, with orchestral parts and distorted vocals taking the listener out of one key or tempo and into another. The album requires a suspension of expectation to hear this rock icon, with his legendary voice, dabbling in psychedelic, trippy pop, but the odd coupling of rock-metal and hip-hop is a little like grilled lamb with mint jelly--strangely palatable if you give it an honest go. And boy, does the album translate live. Cornell opened the House of Blues show with “Part of Me” and silenced many of Scream’s naysayers in one fell swoop. In the hands of his band, Scream positively rocks.

Debuting at #10 on the Billboard 200, Scream is Cornell’s first solo album to crack the Top 10 list, though it plummeted 55 places the following week, setting a Billboard record for the largest second-week drop of a Top 10-debuting album in 2-? years. Despite the trouncing, Cornell remains enthusiastic about the new album, calling it a “highlight of his career”. He has long professed his open-mindedness when it comes to collaborations and won’t knuckle under to his musical past, no matter how revered. He credits The Beatles for having given him the moxie to make such a radical departure from his alternative roots. “The Beatles did whatever they wanted,” he says. “That’s what they taught me about rock music. Anything goes.”

Chris Cornell is currently on the European leg of the Scream tour. Do catch him live if you get the opportunity as the show is a three-hour long extravaganza of all things Cornell.
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.