What amp should I get? I play mostly metal

antonskv
antonskv
05/25/2009 9:59 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65I think it depends on what you play and with whom.

If you play subtle jazz, a combo will do great. Metal? Not as likely.

I played with very hard hitting, loud drummers and combo amps never seemed to cut through. At least not with any level of good tone. Open back combo amps tend to bleed lots of the bottom end of the tone at higher volumes. That nice fat tone you dialed in sitting by yourself is likely to scream in a bit of pain if you have to play over someone who plays in a more heavy handed rock/metal style.

Reality was for me, in the day, I had an old 70's Peavy Classic combo that I played through a Turbo Overdrive and Wah and it got great tone at all but the highest volumes. The amp had an 'out' that I could plug in to a 4x12 cabinet. It has massive tone and plenty of volume then.

In my unofficial opinion, the watts can be important but 50 is plenty. If you can get a cabinet (even a 2x12), you'll be able to get a good sound at a decent volume. The wattage does affect the volume but at a point anything has too much volume. Higher wattage amps tend to have the ability to overdrive post tubes or push the speakers in desirable ways. So, there are reasons why high watt amps exist but for all practical purposes, a good amp with decent tone and effects will do a fine job without having to overwhelm.

Jeff i agree with you of course, but the point i was trying to make was based on initial question when he said he needs something for his home. Only in his last message did he make a second point of being able to play over drums.

Considering he said that his budget was $600 or so, i could have not recommended a stack 'cause i think worthwhile stacks are starting really over a grand. Actually for $600 is possible to get a decent half-stack from EBay or something, but i'm not a big fan of EBay myself. I prefer to buy new gear with extended warranty to make sure it will be replaced in case the gear breaks, no matter how cheap it is.

I recommended a Vypyr series 'cause i have used them myself. Even when i got my portable 15W Vypyr it exceeded my expectation, i did not expect all i got from it, i expected much less.

Vypyr Tube 120W that i had a privilege of trying out before in a studio, is not a stack - its a combo amp... But its pretty powerful, powerful enough to be used on a small gig. I mean it wont be same as a $2000 Marshall, but it's also not a same price range.

I mean this Thread is really kinda like the quest for golden middle. I'm trying to take all variables into consideration.

I would be crazy if i would say combo amp is "better" than a half-stack or a full-stack, if finances are unlimited of course it better to get something that has the best tone and the loudest kick =)))
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/26/2009 12:14 am
Well I went to Guitar Center just now to try them out, but some stupid kids were on the 60 AND 75W ones :mad: I waited half an hour and just left. They were a lot bigger than I thought they were though.
# 2
antonskv
antonskv
05/26/2009 12:26 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Well I went to Guitar Center just now to try them out, but some stupid kids were on the 60 AND 75W ones :mad: I waited half an hour and just left. They were a lot bigger than I thought they were though.

Oh man... How old are you?

Don't feel that person who trying something out in the store has the privilege to be one the item just 'cause they are older than you, most of kids in the store just go there to play around with the gear.

I would've just walked up to them and went: "Get the hell off my amp before i kick your a**!!" I'm kidding of course :)

But in reality just walk up to them and say "Guys i'm thinking of buying this Amp, do you mind if i try it out?" Or if you scared that they will give you crap, then ask one of the guitar center employees to help you.

You are a serious customer who is planning to purchase a amp and you got as much right to try out the gear as anybody else.

When i was buying my amp there also was some dude with his friend picking out a amp for his friend's little kid and they got stuck on one of Line6s which i wanted to check out. After i waited for 20 mins i just told them: "Guys, i need to try this amp and i've been waiting for some time now" and they just apologized for keeping me waiting and passed me the amp.

See people don't know unless you tell them.
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/26/2009 2:29 am
Haha, Im 23, and they were around the same age. I meant the AMPS looked bigger, not the kids. But I didn't kick em out because they looked like they were trying to do the same thing I was, picking out an amp. Im going again tomorrow and the day after probably.
# 4
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/27/2009 7:24 am
well im reading a lot of reviews on the vypyrs now. Most everyone can agree that they sound great, but apparently they aren't too reliable. They break down a lot or have bugs. Anyone else heard of this?
# 5
jwb72
jwb72
05/29/2009 4:12 pm
I heard the same thing, but I have had no problems at all from mine. I got the 75W and that thing is LOUD! I tried the Line 6's and they just seemed kinda "tinney" sounding to me, if that makes any sense. I couldn't be any happier with my Vypyr, but that's just me. :cool: :)

Also, when deciding between a tube or solid state amp, I got the solid state just because it's less of a learning curve. Plug it in, turn it on and jam. Not that tubes are a pain, but I don't know squat about the different tubes to buy and I just know I'd burn one of them up when I forget to let it warm up. lol :rolleyes:
# 6
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/29/2009 5:44 pm
Well I went back 2 days ago to try one out. I wanted to try the 30W but they didnt have any on display. I asked the guy and he said he would open a box up and set it up for me. I was talking to him and he kept going on about how good the amp was. I agreed after reading so much about it, but I told him the ONLY thing that was making me hesitant was the fact that there were a lot of reviews saying it was unreliable......he said he had never heard that before and he has seen no problems or heard of any problems from the ones they sold.

Long story short, after he unpacked the brand new one from the box.....it didn't work. He opened another and it worked, but shut off on me once while I was playing :( Now I'm even more hesitant.

On a side note, the effects were cool, but I couldn't find a setting with good low tones. The amp seemed to have a lot of treble or something. Setting that thing up is confusing, can any Vypyr owners let me know if they can get some good bass out of that, and what settings? I want to go back and try one out today.
# 7
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/29/2009 9:00 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801...

Long story short, after he unpacked the brand new one from the box.....it didn't work. He opened another and it worked, but shut off on me once while I was playing ...

...I want to go back and try one out today.

After two boners right out of the box, you are still considering one? :confused:
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 8
antonskv
antonskv
05/29/2009 9:58 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801
On a side note, the effects were cool, but I couldn't find a setting with good low tones. The amp seemed to have a lot of treble or something. Setting that thing up is confusing, can any Vypyr owners let me know if they can get some good bass out of that, and what settings? I want to go back and try one out today.

What you said about it not working out of the box, its probably 'cause guitar center staff don't know how to turn it on :)

But on more serious note....

It does happen sometimes, one time i wanted to try Marshall amp and same thing happened. They took it back and brought the new one in, and me and my friend tried it out. Does it mean Marshall amps are ****? Of course not.

If Peavey would be crap, they would not have such success.

You wanna know more about Vypyrs, go on their site and read a user manual. They have it available for free.

Ask guitar center staff what you should get, i obviously don't know anything about amps. I just like running my mouth and sounding like i know what I'm talking about.
# 9
hunter1801
hunter1801
05/30/2009 1:27 am
Honestly I don't trust Guitar Center people. I feel like they are just trying to work for their commission.
# 10
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/30/2009 2:04 am
Maybe it was just some bad luck.

I like this place for reviews. No punches pulled lol

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/brand/Peavey

I only saw reviews on the Vypyr 30 watt. Reliability ratings were either very good or pretty bad. But then again, they dusted my Peavey Audition Plus in reviews, but I like it just fine. It has never given me a problem in 23 years. (Though it spent most of that time in a closet, I did use it as a spare amp when somebody's broke down.)
# 11
antonskv
antonskv
05/30/2009 2:46 am
Originally Posted by: hunter1801Honestly I don't trust Guitar Center people. I feel like they are just trying to work for their commission.[/QUOTE]

Well.... Yeah usually that's true. But see the thing is, if u get 20 people in here you'll have 20 recommendations on what amp to get. I of course recommend those which i like myself.

When you buy an amp get a extended warranty for it. Its like Extra 10% or so, but they will guarantee it's work for like 2 years i think. If amp breaks you can just go back to Guitar Center and they will refund amp's price IN FULL. That's what i did, and now i know for sure that this amp will be working that long, if it wont i will ask for my money back in full or ask for a new amp.

[QUOTE=Razbo]Maybe it was just some bad luck.

I only saw reviews on the Vypyr 30 watt. Reliability ratings were either very good or pretty bad. But then again, they dusted my PEavey in reviews, but I like it just fine. It has never given me a problem in 23 years. (Though it spent much of that in a closet.

Yeah i heard the same - either very good or very bad. But i have friends who use Vypyrs like i said and they love them, so when i wanted a cheap amp with most amount of stuff that can be possibly put into it, so i went with Vypyr and didn't even worry about it. I'm happy with my choice.

Only thing i wish i had waited a little bit and bought a 30W one, but my main amp broke and i needed something right away. See 15W Vypyr can't be connected to Sanpera pedal that comes as a great addition to Vypyrs. But i don't worry about it, 'cause even if i could connect Sanpera it would only work with Vypyrs 'cause its made for them. So i'll have to get a good Multi-Effects pedal anyway, to take with me to gigs and practices.

So all-in-all i'm happy with it.

BY THE WAY!

When i was buying this amp Guitar Center rep said to guys who were next to me and also looking at 15W Vypyr: "Well u can get a Sanpera pedal for it to access on-board functions easily"....

Here is another proof that people in Guitar Center a lot of times don't know what the hell they talking about, since later on i found out Vypyr 15W cannot be connected to Sanpera pedal since it has not MIDI inputs, and Sanpera is a self-powered pedal that is connected/powered to/through MIDI inputs.
# 12
antonskv
antonskv
05/30/2009 3:49 am
Originally Posted by: Razbo

I wrote a review for my Vypyr 15W for that place, by the way. I don't know if its up yet though.
# 13
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
05/30/2009 1:49 pm
One good thing about solid state (imo) is that extended warranties are not such a consideration. With SS, after you buy it, leave it plugged in and turned [u]on[/u] for about a week (this goes for computers, pedals or anything). If parts are faulty and going to burn out, it's going to happen in the first few days. After that, you are probably ok until long after any warranty would expire.
# 14
m stock
m stock
05/31/2009 4:02 am
i know most of this thread is about pevey vypers but have you looked at the crate g series a hybrid that has both tubes and solidstate
sounds good at all levels has dual channels and also a gain switch to give you that hi amp sound at low volume and an effects loop for pedals ect i have the wattage to get loud but can also play low i also live in a naborhood that wont tolerate my noise level that the crate can produce but i think if you want a metal sound you will find high amps is what it is about
buy somthing that can give you the sound if you need it or you will really not be able to reproduce the metal effect on a little amp that just wont let your guitar sound like it will at high amps you can turn up the amp and turn down your guitar to an accepable level for your room (that is why i went with the crate hybrid) for the metal sound i checked out several diffrent types tube and solid state but it is really up to you what kind of sound you want i have never got good sound with any small amp they just wont reproduce the high amprage sound that the 100 w will
pevey always have been around and ted nugent swears by them but the low end sound (base) is what the pevey is for famous for and i have heard of some problems even back in the day with the bigger amps
# 15
hunter1801
hunter1801
06/13/2009 5:46 pm
Update here:
http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29395
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.