Country Styke strumming

Peter vickers
Peter vickers
03/21/2009 4:23 pm
Hi Guys and Gals,

I have just a heard a couple of songs by Kenny Rogers, the 1st was "Coward of the county" and the 2nd was "You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille".

Both have really nice laid back country style strumming which I would like to emulate, do we have anything on GT which I could learn. I have just completed Beginners one and two, and looking at Country Styles 1 at the moment.

FANTASTIC website and I feel soo lucky to be part of a wonderful online community as Guitar tricks, thanks to all the staff both instructors and back office peeps as well.

Thanks

peter
# 1
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
03/22/2009 8:48 am
It's been a while since I heard either one of those songs, but I'll try to help. "Coward of the county" has a couple of things going on, but I think what you're asking about is the guitar that's doing the quarter note strums. I think they also have another guitar using "Nashville tuning" playing a rhythm pattern. This is a cool thing I heard about from Albert Lee, where the strings are tuned an octave higher. Not the 5th or 6th string, just the 4th string through the 1st string. Then they capoed at th 5th fret, and are playing a G position, while the other guitar is playing the quarter note strums in the C position.

I think "Lucille" is just a boom chick strumming pattern, with aternating bass. It's also played in the key of C, this lesson will show you the alternating bass.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12529&s_id=629 Just strum where I play the double stops, and move the bass notes. You can also play what my Dad always called a full C chord, but you'll have to use your pinky to do it.

You're still alternating bass notes, but you won't have to move the bass notes to do it. I'll try to get a listen at those songs, and let you know if I hear anything else.

JD
# 2
Peter vickers
Peter vickers
03/22/2009 12:37 pm
Originally Posted by: sixpickerIt's been a while since I heard either one of those songs, but I'll try to help. "Coward of the county" has a couple of things going on, but I think what you're asking about is the guitar that's doing the quarter note strums. I think they also have another guitar using "Nashville tuning" playing a rhythm pattern. This is a cool thing I heard about from Albert Lee, where the strings are tuned an octave higher. Not the 5th or 6th string, just the 4th string through the 1st string. Then they capoed at th 5th fret, and are playing a G position, while the other guitar is playing the quarter note strums in the C position.

I think "Lucille" is just a boom chick strumming pattern, with aternating bass. It's also played in the key of C, this lesson will show you the alternating bass.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12529&s_id=629 Just strum where I play the double stops, and move the bass notes. You can also play what my Dad always called a full C chord, but you'll have to use your pinky to do it.

You're still alternating bass notes, but you won't have to move the bass notes to do it. I'll try to get a listen at those songs, and let you know if I hear anything else.

JD

Wow, Thank you so much, no wonder listening to the records people like me have no chance of knowing what you explained above, it is soo interesting, I appreciate your time helping me.

Regards

Peter
# 3
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
03/22/2009 8:03 pm
I didn't mean to confuse you if I did, try counting 1, 2, 3, 4 along with the music for "Coward of the county". Right after you count each number one of the guitars strums a chord, while another guitar plays a different rhythm pattern. Just strum the C chord 4 times, then the F chord 2 times, the C chord 8 times, and the G chord 2 times.

I will tell you that this rhythm is harder to do without someone else playing rhythm behind you, because the part you're doing is on the downstroke. If you play the pattern above, and count along with it, you'll hear that it sounds like the pattern they're playing. This covers half of the verse, and let me know if you need help figuring out the rest.

JD
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.