is this pick holding position bad?

gary_g5
gary_g5
03/19/2009 3:19 pm
I'm attaching a picture of the way I've always held a pick (using my index and middle fingers on the bottom of the pick). I learned the guitar about 15 years ago, played for a few years like that, and then I didn't play at all until about a month ago. Now I'm trying to retrain myself to hold the pick with just my thumb and index finger, but I'm finding that the pick spins and/or rattles around too much while I'm strumming, so I inadvertently switch back to using that extra middle finger to help stabilize the pick. After seeing many tutorials and lessons on picking techniques, I'm guessing that it's important for me to learn to use only my index finger and thumb, right? Is using that extra middle finger going to cause problems for me? Would switching to a different size or shape pick help? I'm using the standard shape Dunlop Tortex pick.
# 1
GuitaristAzza
GuitaristAzza
03/19/2009 3:58 pm
Hi

The way you hold the pick(Also known as plectrom) is what feels right for you no one can tell you how to hold a pick otherwise thats there way of doing it, so try different ways of holding it and you will find the perfect angle for you.
# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/19/2009 4:35 pm
Hi Gary-

Thanks for sending the picture - that's really helpful.

It looks to me like your pick-holding technique is just fine. You'll see many variations of technique out there, but your looks to be totally within the realm of "normal". As long as it's working for you, I wouldn't spend too much effort trying to change it.

Play on!

Best - Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
gary_g5
gary_g5
03/19/2009 5:07 pm
Thanks for the advice. It's nice to know I'm not reinforcing a bad habit by continuing to practice like that. I just didn't want to play much more until I got some reassurance that I wasn't totally wrong in my technique. Thanks.
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/19/2009 5:33 pm
If you don't drop it, it's a good hold imo. :)
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 5
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
03/21/2009 12:21 am
Originally Posted by: gary_g5I'm attaching a picture of the way I've always held a pick (using my index and middle fingers on the bottom of the pick). I learned the guitar about 15 years ago, played for a few years like that, and then I didn't play at all until about a month ago. Now I'm trying to retrain myself to hold the pick with just my thumb and index finger, but I'm finding that the pick spins and/or rattles around too much while I'm strumming, so I inadvertently switch back to using that extra middle finger to help stabilize the pick. After seeing many tutorials and lessons on picking techniques, I'm guessing that it's important for me to learn to use only my index finger and thumb, right? Is using that extra middle finger going to cause problems for me? Would switching to a different size or shape pick help? I'm using the standard shape Dunlop Tortex pick.

Gary,
I think people are right that it is ok to have a 3 finger grip. However, I have a different viewpoint....

I had a 3 finger grip for years, and decided to switch to a 2 finger grip about 8 years ago after running this site for a while and realizing many people advocate the 2 finger grip.

The reason I decided to switch to the two finger grip is it did seem to allow for faster playing. So if you care about faster playing, I would recommend you continue working on the switch. If not, I don't see much other reason to switch.

I found that it was useful for several months to practice both ways, until the 2 finger grip became stronger. That way not all your practice is frustrating.

My two cents. Hope it helps.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.