is this a normal thing?

caponi14
caponi14
03/11/2009 4:39 pm
Hello fellow guitarists and awesome guitartricks instructors :)

I would like to know something that i have been confused about for a month now? :confused:

Okay, this is it.
2 month ago i started my shredding (iv been playing for 7 months, and i practice 3-4 hours every day), and in the start it seemed to go pretty well. But now it's like things have changed when i play fast, and my fingers don't feel as comfortable playing fast, as they did in the start.
My fast playing is starting to get more messy and slow and i get some small stupid habbits that i have to stop immediatly, and i think that the sound i made in the start was much better. (or could it be because i was impressed of myself?). I realised how guitarists can play so fast, when i learning the lick that you can see below. And i started learning it and playing it fast, and how go up the Pentatonic scales. Im working to get ''ala'' Slash sounding pentatonic shredding.
----12h15p12------
-------------15----
-------------------
-------------------
-------------------
-------------------
Could this problem that i have, maybe be because i was simply very impressed of myself in the start. Or maybe because i practice it too much and therefore don't allow my fingers to rest enough. Or maybe the strings resist me playing fast if they may have gotten too old?

Whatever it is,
Somebody please help me with this, you have allready helped me soooo much!! but please also help me with this?
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/11/2009 5:47 pm
It is normal in a way. I've gone through the same thing many times, learning a fast lead... being able to play it... then a few months later it's like my brain doesn't want to work anymore.

This might not be the advice you want to hear, but this is the time when you should be slowing down, playing to either a metronome or preferably a drum machine, and working on your accuracy and cleanliness.
Playing fast is fine, but if it's sloppy and doesn't have any feel to it, nobody wants to listen to it.

Try playing leads to a drum beat and slowly speed it up every day.
You could also try working on things like economy picking or starting with an upstroke instead of a downstroke just to shake things up a bit.
One of your problems might just be boredom from doing the same thing all the time.

No matter how much I spend rehearsing something I always leave some time to just go nuts and get into playing something I like. Otherwise it just seems like work instead of fun.
# 2
caponi14
caponi14
03/11/2009 10:00 pm
Thanks alot Kevin, i will ofcourse try it out!

Casper
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.