How to develop this style?

caponi14
caponi14
03/01/2009 6:33 pm
Hello everybody i want to ask you something.
I have picked up the quitar some time ago, and now i think im getting ready to turn up the heat, if you know what i mean?? :)

And since my biggest idol is slash i would like to learn to play ''Ala'' his style improvisation shredding.

I have listen to ALOT of his music. But i still quite can't fingure out how he alternates his fast stuff and make it sound so clean (and especially at the really high notes, how can he keep a lick going and going like that and still keep it clean?) . The legato and things like that, and how he goes up and down the fretboard really fast. If somebody knows some good courses or know how to achive this skill i will thanks you a thousand times?!

And one more thing. I would like you to maybe make me a list of things i need to be able to do and be good at, for me to develop this style and skill.
A list of like: double stomps and scales i need, and those kinda things. Please, Please, Please someone. Help me with this.

This means alot to me!?

Casper :)
# 1
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/01/2009 9:16 pm
Originally Posted by: caponi14Hello everybody i want to ask you something.
I have picked up the quitar some time ago, and now i think im getting ready to turn up the heat, if you know what i mean?? :)

And since my biggest idol is slash i would like to learn to play ''Ala'' his style improvisation shredding.

I have listen to ALOT of his music. But i still quite can't fingure out how he alternates his fast stuff and make it sound so clean (and especially at the really high notes, how can he keep a lick going and going like that and still keep it clean?) . The legato and things like that, and how he goes up and down the fretboard really fast. If somebody knows some good courses or know how to achive this skill i will thanks you a thousand times?!

And one more thing. I would like you to maybe make me a list of things i need to be able to do and be good at, for me to develop this style and skill.
A list of like: double stomps and scales i need, and those kinda things. Please, Please, Please someone. Help me with this.

This means alot to me!?

Casper :)

A really good player I know said that the great players just practice a lot. No short cut for quick clean playing than to just practice. Particularly in my shred days so many years ago, I played pretty darn fast and clean. It took time building the chops and patients with my timing. While the feel for it was reasonably natural, even now that I don't play as often as when I was hardcore, if I get ahead of myself I just get messy. It really is a 'walk before you can run' scenario.

If anything I did (and I'm sure instructors here have better suggestions) that helped was to slowly alternate pick through scales. It was one of my warm up drills that I did in front of the TV. It worked for me anyway.

Also, most good artists know the vocabulary of licks that comprise good lead playing and have spent time integrating them in to their playing so that it really comes naturally.

So, them's my thoughts.
# 2
capitalalchemy
capitalalchemy
03/12/2009 5:01 pm
Slash, like many guitar players, when it comes to keep notes going like your talking about, will first determine where it is that they are going.

Let me explain this a little better ;)

It usually comes about when you say "how can I connect note X with note Z, when Z is clear over their?". Then you start learning some proper technique to get the fingers working. Let's say that you want to play 80 notes in perfect connection. That's a lot harder to keep going with than 20 notes obviously, so you break it down into parts. You master the first 20 notes, then the next 20, and so on. This works for memorizing the notes and getting the muscle memory down, but then you actually have to connect the notes at there "intersecting" points. The best way to do this is to start really slow, and that will ensure that you can go from one note to another smoothly. If you keep playing it at the same rate of speed for a while, you'll find that your fingers are like "all right, I gotta already!" and they will start to progress on their own. After a while though, you will have to push them a little bit. Don't over do it, but you have to then show your hands their true potential.

In terms of improvising, the more that you have worked with these concepts, the more that it becomes a part of your approach to playing, and it then can be done off the top of your head, but this only comes from jamming a lot. Practice is necessary, but you have to jam off the top of your head too.

Slash uses a lot of Pentatonic scales, which are a great place to start, when it comes to connecting the dots. You can take the Pentatonic Minor scale and move it around the neck, which will take it between Major Pentatonic and Minor Pentatonic.

Hope this helps, if you've got anymore questions - let me know.

http://www.guitarspeedsecret.com
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.