Songwriting software

cchonos
cchonos
02/28/2009 7:27 pm
I know there are some really good songwriting softwares out there that are really expensive, but does anyone know of any that are reasonably priced or even free....just trying to watch the pennies now and am new to songwriting.

Thanks for any help that can be offered.
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/28/2009 8:38 pm
If you mean lyric writing software, MasterWriter is about the only one I've found to be helpful. You can get similar results with a thesaurus and rhyming dictionary though.
# 2
EPISODER
EPISODER
03/01/2009 12:28 am
Ok, Guitar Pro 5.2 is the most amazing software I've ever had the privelage to use. It's not just guitars either. Drums, Basses, Banjo's, Pianos, and TONS of other instruments too.

Customizable MIDI Tracks, RSE packs, a Metranome, a Transposer, and crap-loads of other features make it very good for songwriting.

I bought it for $50 (I think?)

It was the best spent fifty bucks that I have ever spent.

-Andrew
[FONT=Fixedsys]A tout le monde, A tout mes amis, Je vous aime, Je dois partir. These are the last words I'll ever speak, and they'll set me free![/FONT] ;)
# 3
cchonos
cchonos
03/01/2009 5:28 pm
Thanks for the help....I will take a look at guitarpro and probably just use the thesaurus and ryming dictionary for now.
# 4
Tommy S.
Tommy S.
03/25/2009 11:25 pm
Wow awesome! I use FL Studio almost religiously, and it allows me to paint beats down very easily to create a nice and rich sound.

Not to mention its fully compatible with great .VSTs out there and it comes packed with a lot of presets (Sytrus, FPC, FL Keys, Reverb, Compression, Etc.)

I started using it a few years ago and since then its become a staple of my composing.

I'd recommend it for someone starting out and getting their feet wet.

However, I play keyboard to record my music via MIDI controllers (To take advantage of the .VST software that is available).

Another option a lot of people use is Reason, Logic (which I hear is amazing but I've never tried it), and Cubase.

Hope that helps :)
# 5
Brad Litton
Brad Litton
04/03/2009 3:43 am
This article really helped jumpstart my songwriting, there's a lot of awesome things I had never thought about before, hope it helps!

http://tomhess.net/Articles/ExpressYourself.aspx
# 6
ddaloia
ddaloia
04/05/2009 5:20 pm
Originally Posted by: EPISODEROk, Guitar Pro 5.2 is the most amazing software I've ever had the privelage to use. It's not just guitars either. Drums, Basses, Banjo's, Pianos, and TONS of other instruments too.

Customizable MIDI Tracks, RSE packs, a Metranome, a Transposer, and crap-loads of other features make it very good for songwriting.

I bought it for $50 (I think?)

It was the best spent fifty bucks that I have ever spent.

-Andrew

Agreed.

Guitar Pro is my favorite piece of software (especially cause it works on my mac.) It has opened my eyes and helped me learn a lot of songs I thought were too advanced for me. Big confidence builder. Between Guitar Tricks lessons and Guitar Pro, I finally feel like I am making progress again.
2thankful4words
2thankful4words
05/04/2009 3:23 pm
I use melody assistant. You can try it for free, and when you are ready to buy it, it's only $20. It's very user friendly, and when you buy it, you can export your music as a wav, mp3, midi, or whatever, so you can create the music file and the sheet music at the same time. It has just about every instrument in the orchestra.

http://www.myriad-online.com/en/products/melody.htm
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.