Where to look while practicing?

Noxxio
Noxxio
02/21/2009 6:05 am
I have been going through the GF1 series and are working on all the simple melodies stuff in chapter 5.

Now when playing those i was wondering where you should look while practicing?

The reason i am curious is because i noticed if i focus on my strumming hand i get tunnel vision and forget about my fretting hand.

I seem to do much much better if i focus on my fretting hand (left) and just kinda trust that my right hand will strum the right strings. It sorta works , i still miss strum here and there.

So is it better to just let your body slowly build the muscle memory for this by focusing on your fretting or should you watch your strumming?

I worry about being curled over the guitar like the Hunchback staring at my strumming hand :)

Just don't want to develop bad habits.

Any input is much appreciated.

Regards

Noxx
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If i quit, however, it lasts forever"
Lance Armstrong
# 1
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
Grambo
halfway to somewhere
02/21/2009 12:52 pm
Eventually your right hand will ' learn ', where to go - so you can concentrate on your left fretting hand
if you always take the lazy route
The Devil knows your every move ![COLOR=RoyalBlue]
# 2
Chancy
Chancy
02/21/2009 12:56 pm
Noxx Im still a beginner but I would agree. The right hand settled in for me and it will do what it needs to with practice. Also I have upper back issues so I have the same concerns as you about wanting to get it right so I dont have to keep hunched over looking for my hand placement so much..
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/21/2009 1:20 pm
I'm looking at both depending on what I'm playing. If it's a particularly hard part involving the left hand I'll watch that, but halfway through the lead if I have to find a pinch harmonic, I'll glance at my right hand... then back again.
It just depends on what you're playing.
On easy stuff I just find myself looking around at random objects.

Although, performance wise, it's a slightly different story.
If you know you're being filmed or you're playing on stage... there's a certain presence you have to convey. So that means either sitting up straighter, looking more professional, concentrating on the guitar instead of glancing around and for some kinds of music, stepping up your 'performance' to give more energy to what people are looking at.
# 4
Noxxio
Noxxio
02/21/2009 5:38 pm
thanks for the replies guys :)
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If i quit, however, it lasts forever"
Lance Armstrong
# 5
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/22/2009 3:00 am
Hi all-

Kevin Taylor makes some really good points. Be flexible. Look at what needs to be looked at most. Look away from the guitar when you can.

Here's one more idea:

Have you ever tried playing with your eyes closed, looking at nothing at all?

I sometimes introduce this challenge to my students as a way of focussing their attention on the *feel" of the moves that each hand has to make, rather than the *appearance* as seen by the eyes. I believe this can help the muscle-memory develop even faster, cementing your good habits and skills into you repertoire.

By practicing certain moves with your eyes closed, your are asking your hands to rely on other cues besides visual cues. Like, the feel of the strings, the thickness of the strings, the distance and angle between one finger and the next, the speed at which a finger must move, the pressure your fingers are applying...all internal-experience stuff. Felt, more than seen.

Also, sometimes the need-to-look becomes a bit like comfort food. You don't trust yourself to make that chord correctly unless you monitor it closely. Many times, you may find that your hand is perfectly able to make that move without all that supervision - and that fact will free you attention so that it can be applied to places that DO need your eyes...

Let us know your thoughts-
Best wishes, Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 6
Noxxio
Noxxio
02/23/2009 5:48 pm
thanks for Kevin and Lisa for your replies.

both makes sense but i must admit closing my eyes and playing is a whole new world. makes you realize how much you rely on vision instead of trusting your "feel" and instinct for hand placement.

Regards

Nox
Lance Armstrong
# 7
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
oldtimehobbies
Full Access
02/24/2009 3:00 am
My lower back is destroyed! So I wanted to tell you what really helped me. I pretty much just play acoustic, started out that way because of the weight vs. a solid body electric. Anyway after a few months of playing hunched and in pain I tried the strap. Might sound silly but the way my back is I didn't want anything hanging off of my neck lol. I was surprised at how much easier this was not only on my back but to play. You can sit up straight and still see the fretboard without hunching as much. Just a thought. I hope you find a way to play with less pain. Keep at it,

Ed
I stay in the dog house its easier that way...
# 8
Noxxio
Noxxio
02/24/2009 4:52 am
I just tried your tip about using a strap.

It does work wonders. Even when sitting. Now i just gotta go get a even more comfy strap and i am all set

Thanks Hobbes :)

regards
Nox
Lance Armstrong
# 9
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
02/24/2009 6:10 am
Lisa, I think i'm going to start incorporating your idea of closing my eyes while playing.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 10
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/24/2009 3:34 pm
Hi Rick,

That's great. Just make sure it's not lullabyes you are practicing with your eyes closed, or... ;)

But seriously, let us know what your experience is like with closing your eyes during practice after you've given it a few days. I'd be interested to know.

Have fun - Lisa
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 11
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
02/24/2009 4:21 pm
You bet. I'm really hoping this will help with my issue with changing chords. This is one of my weaknesses. And anything to help in this area will be a blessing. And to be honest, I don't spend much time on chords simply because it's a difficult thing.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.