plz help with hammers and whatnot

blankdrawn
blankdrawn
12/28/2001 2:22 am
hey everybody,
how do you do "hammers", "pull offs", and "palm mutes"?
i probably know what they are but i dont know their names.
i just started and i'm getting pressure as my friends want me in their band and im the only person that doesnt know how to play. im supposed to get lessons some time in the next few weeks, but i cant wait that long. anyway, if you know the answer plus a few other useful tricks for somebody in a punk band, please tell me!!!
gracious
this is enthusiasm.
# 1
trendkillah
trendkillah
12/28/2001 12:17 pm
Hammer on: For example, you play a note on the 8th fret with your index finger, and without picking, you "hammer" your ring finger on the 10th fret. Basically it's playing a note without having picked the string.

Pull off: This is just the reverse of a hammer on. Play a note on the 10th fret with your ring finger while you index finger is already on the 8th fret. Then just pull your ring finger off the string, so you can hear the note on the 8th fret without having picked the string

Palm muting: Place you're palm of your picking hand on the strings in proximity to the bridge. The distance at wich you place your palm, and the pressure you apply determine the sound of the palm muted notes you play.

Hope that helps.

Greetz, TK
# 2
blankdrawn
blankdrawn
12/28/2001 11:03 pm
thanks for replying...i just bought the blink 182 enema of the state book with the music notes, and in the back it said the same thing you are saying. there is still something i dont understand. youre saying that (for hammer-on's), if you picked the 10th fret of the 5th string, you would "hammer" the 8th fret of the 5th string? also, by the word "hammer" do you mean just slamming my finger on the string or just tapping it?
thanks
this is enthusiasm.
# 3
trendkillah
trendkillah
12/29/2001 3:12 am
Exactly. Play/pick a note on the 8th fret, and then "hammer" or "slam" a finger on the 10th fret, without picking the string. And keep it there for as long as the note should be. If you're using distortion, you'll notice that you really don't have to apply that much pressure when doing a hammer-on. Just experiment, and see what works best for ya.
# 4
blankdrawn
blankdrawn
12/29/2001 7:25 pm
thanks a million
all these sites didnt explain very well...i see what you're talking about now
this is enthusiasm.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.