Any Dream Theater fans here?

jonathanp12
Full Access
jonathanp12
Full Access
01/31/2009 8:12 pm
Hello to everyone,

The title says it all. Is there any Dream Theater fans here?

Dream Theater is my favorite band of all time.

If you like me like them you can let me know! And if you have a specific album/song/DVD you like the most you can tell me also! :)

For me, Dream Theater, Live at Budokan is the best live music DVD ever! The production, the musicianship, the performance, the content, everything is there. For the album, I think that I like them all but if I need to choose only one maybe it could be Scenes From A Memory or Train of Thought. For the song, it's the same thing but if you ask me for just one it could be A Change Of Seasons or Octavarium. Lastly for an instrumental song, it could be Stream of Consciousness or Erotomania. Again, I enjoy everything from Dream Theater.

Thanks for reading and hope to read you too!
[FONT=Verdana]Jonathan Poulin
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
02/03/2009 8:58 pm
Yup, fantastic band. Got to go back stage and meet them years ago on their Images and Words tour. Still have my autographed ticket stub. :cool:

I especially enjoy Jon Petrucci's solo CD.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
jonathanp12
Full Access
jonathanp12
Full Access
02/06/2009 12:38 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerYup, fantastic band. Got to go back stage and meet them years ago on their Images and Words tour. Still have my autographed ticket stub. :cool:

I especially enjoy Jon Petrucci's solo CD.

Cool, you meet them!

Me too I like John Petrucci solo album. Nice guitar works!
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
02/06/2009 9:43 am
I made the mistake of listening to the Liquid Tension Experiment cd's first, everything I heard from JP after that was kind of a let down - because LTE was just so damn good. I have JP's solo album too but I can't get into it - the first track kicks ass but it kind of loses feel after that point. Maybe the whole point was to make a loose improv driven cd - excellent playing but lots of meandering lead without any direction (to my ear!).
# 4
playforhim!
playforhim!
02/09/2009 9:19 am
yeah dream theatre are awesome.
enough said. :)
# 5
Bryan Briggs
Bryan Briggs
02/10/2009 4:27 pm
Dream Theater rock for sure! JP was a big influence.......
# 6
jonathanp12
Full Access
jonathanp12
Full Access
02/11/2009 1:28 am
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanI made the mistake of listening to the Liquid Tension Experiment cd's first, everything I heard from JP after that was kind of a let down - because LTE was just so damn good. I have JP's solo album too but I can't get into it - the first track kicks ass but it kind of loses feel after that point. Maybe the whole point was to make a loose improv driven cd - excellent playing but lots of meandering lead without any direction (to my ear!).

LTE rocks for sure. Dream Theater is a more balanced band I think (in my opinion). I mean every aspect of their style is exploited. Well, I like LTE very much and we just have to say that is two different band (or maybe some new experimentation with music by almost all the same guys!).
Quebec Canada[/FONT]
# 7
crataegus
crataegus
06/16/2010 12:59 pm
Although it seems to be a little late for a reply to this thread, I just want to throw in: "YES! I'm a Dream Theater fan" ;-)
I saw them twice here in Germany. Absolute great concerts, but I think it is not possible to compare it with their concerts in the US or Canada. DT is not well-known here and they play concerts in front of 200 - 1000 persons. Quite familiar atmosphere ;-)

I just try to refresh my (former basic) knowledge of playing guitar, but John Petrucci is my big ideal.
It is quite old now but I think worth mentioning: John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" is a very high-level guitar-lesson on DVD.
OLP John Petrucci Signature directly connected to a MacBookPro using Garageband
# 8
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
06/16/2010 3:24 pm
Huh... I didn't know he had a DVD. I'll have to look into that.
# 9
Jarsew
Jarsew
06/16/2010 6:46 pm
Dusty thread indeed!

Personally, I could never get into them. And trust me, I keep trying. I feel as if I should like them because of the other bands I listen to can relate to them somewhat; but It just doesn't click for me I suppose.

Ironically, I am a fan of the progressive genre for the most part. Than again, overtime the "progressive" term has been thrown around way to easily. You can take two bands considered progressive and they wont sound anything alike.

I suppose I am more so a fan of the old school, original progressive. Pink Floyd and King Crimson and whatnot. I know there is a difference in rock and metal, but progressive metal and progressive rock sound completely different if you ask me.

Its almost like Progressive is simply used if a band uses odd time signatures, odd scales, non-standard song formats, songs that easily go to 8 minutes, etc etc.

Rant rant rant! I can go for days *sigh*
# 10
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
06/16/2010 6:53 pm
Originally Posted by: JarsewRant rant rant! I can go for days *sigh*

Uh huh! That's what I feel about todays nu-metal. That I could rant on for days. :)
# 11
crataegus
crataegus
06/16/2010 7:14 pm
Originally Posted by: Jarsew
Its almost like Progressive is simply used if a band uses odd time signatures, odd scales, non-standard song formats, songs that easily go to 8 minutes, etc etc.

Yes, I think you are right. I also see two significant parts: On the one hand Dream Theater together with bands like Opath, Spock's Beard (... the "progressive nation") - and on the other hand Pink Floyd, Marillion, ...
Don't know where the exact definition is, perhaps just the "non-standard".

At first I even didn't like Dream Theater - perhaps because of being non-standard. But if you ever get to the point and "understand" the music ... or "feel" the music ... don't know how to explain. Then you cannot even compare their music to other's - it's just an own world.

So perhaps you give them another try?! ;-) I recommend "Scenes from a memory". Don't listen to one or two songs, just the complete album.
# 12
Jarsew
Jarsew
06/16/2010 7:41 pm
Originally Posted by: crataegusYes, I think you are right. I also see two significant parts: On the one hand Dream Theater together with bands like Opath, Spock's Beard (... the "progressive nation") - and on the other hand Pink Floyd, Marillion, ...
Don't know where the exact definition is, perhaps just the "non-standard".

At first I even didn't like Dream Theater - perhaps because of being non-standard. But if you ever get to the point and "understand" the music ... or "feel" the music ... don't know how to explain. Then you cannot even compare their music to other's - it's just an own world.

So perhaps you give them another try?! ;-) I recommend "Scenes from a memory". Don't listen to one or two songs, just the complete album.
Haha did you by chance mean Opeth? They happen to be one of my favorite bands. And in my mind, when it comes old school progressive, they can pull it off well.

Here is a good example (yes they are technically death metal, but theres no cookie monster in this song, Im sure alot of you will like):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sdZVSJhK0

The writer of Opeth is a huge DT fan by the way.
# 13
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
06/16/2010 8:08 pm
Originally Posted by: Jarsew
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7sdZVSJhK0

The writer of Opeth is a huge DT fan by the way.

Huh, I liked it. IN fact, checking out more of their stuff on youtube.
# 14
Jarsew
Jarsew
06/16/2010 8:33 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerHuh, I liked it. IN fact, checking out more of their stuff on youtube.
Haha well watch out! They initially are Death Metal. Their riffs, leads, interludes, are very progressive. You literally can hear the pink floyd influence.

They have an album called Damnation. Its strictly clean and smooth. I would recommend listening to that first. Very jazzy. Which to my understanding is what progressive initially was! Rock with jazz influences. Thats why when I hear bands that are considered progressive, I hear nothing that sounds like jazz and I get confused.
# 15
crataegus
crataegus
06/16/2010 8:57 pm
Originally Posted by: JarsewHaha did you by chance mean Opeth?

:-) jap, of course Opeth ;-)
# 16
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
06/18/2010 4:21 pm
Of all the DAMN DUMB LUCK..

I just found out that Dream Theater is going to be in Portland Monday June/21 and I will be out of town... DAMN IT!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:
# 17
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Ben Lindholm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/09/2010 12:18 pm
Glad to find this Dream Theater thread!

I'm a DT fan too, and I saw them in Stockholm, Sweden a few years ago. I haven't listened much to their more recent stuff though, Images & Words and Awake are still my favorite albums, followed by Scenes from a Memory!

John Petrucci is like a machine, flawless technique! The intro to Paradigm Shift with LTE is just too fast!
# 18
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
07/20/2010 4:58 pm
Originally Posted by: Ben LindholmJohn Petrucci is like a machine, flawless technique! The intro to Paradigm Shift with LTE is just too fast!

You know having said that, our very own Sir Schlegel has some chops that shouldn't be taken lightly. Would be awesome to see a Petrucci / Schlegel shootout! :cool:
# 19
valentinarossi
valentinarossi
08/04/2010 12:23 am
I like Dream Theater but only few albums. In last time i start to prefer Symphony X. What do you think?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.