guitar synth roland gr 33 or gr 20

nand80
nand80
01/26/2009 3:53 pm
hi,

have been trying to get info on roland guitar synthesizers. shortlisted the gr 33 and gr 20 based on reviews but found out recently that roland has discontinued the gr 33 even though it was introduced more recently than the gr 20. anyone with info on this?

cheers,
nand
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/27/2009 11:38 am
Pm Kevin Taylor about this, as far as I remember he has a lot of experience with guitar synths etc.
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/27/2009 3:33 pm
I haven't actually tried either one. Although I guess eventually I'll have to upgrade. I'm still using a Roland GR800 with a GR808 guitar that I got in the mid 1980's. Works great except for the occasional tracking problems.
From what I hear, the newer synths tracks a lot faster and you don't get as many glitches in your midi recordings. (a constant hassle since you have to go back and edit out all the accidental short notes and quantize everything.
# 3
nand80
nand80
01/27/2009 4:00 pm
Thanks Superhuman, Kevin

Found out today that Roland has discontinued GR 33 even though it was introduced after GR 20. Maybe the decision of the marketing department in their firm.

There's a new "VG-99" as well but don't know what exactly it is.

Had another query. I heard that it does not matter what the tuning is on your guitar - the synth can track notes properly and sounds alright even if the actual tuning is way off. By corollary, does it mean that one can put high E string instead of all 6 strings? I know it might be a stupid question - but if such a thing is possible then playing becomes easier and tracking faster because the same number of cycles can be tracked in lesser time.

(Hope my queries are not excruciatingly boring!)

Cheers
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/27/2009 7:52 pm
It doesn't matter what the tuning is on your guitar cause the synth tracks the string note that's playing. However, if you put an E string on all six strings, you'd still have to tune each string down to a lower pitch. In other words, if you put a high E on your low E string and tune it down, the synth is going to have even more problems tracking it that just using a low E string.
As far as the low strings go, you kind of get used to playing slightly ahead of the beat to compensate for the slight delay. Although when recording midi, you just quantize everything.

One thing you can do is just transpose all your midi notes down by an octave. That way if you're playing bass, you can do it on the higher strings and it tracks faster.

As far as tuning goes too, at least with the GR800, you have to be perfectly in tune for the note you're playing or you get glitches. You can tune the guitar to any tuning you like, but if the note is slightly sharp or flat, the synth has trouble figuring out which note you want to play.

One thing I'm not sure about with the new synths is if you can turn off chromatic playing. My GR800 has built in sounds and allows you to do bends and so forth but when you use the midi output, you have to play chromatically (ie, if you try to bend upwards, it plays each note individually).
I also don't know if the new synths have a 'hold' function.
With the GR800's internal sounds, when you play a chord, you can press the 'hold' pedal with your foot and it sustains the chord until you let it go.
However, again..it doesn't work on midi sounds. So if you're playing strings, they'll only sustain for as long as the strings are vibrating.
If you're recording, you have to go back in later and extend all the notes.
With Cubase it's really easy cause all you have to do is tell the program to Quantize Lengths or Ends and it fixes it. However in my older version of Cubase I had to go in and extend each note by hand in the editor. (took forever :)
# 5
nand80
nand80
01/29/2009 4:48 pm
Thanks Kevin,

BTW, check out the Roland VG 99. Seems really great -works with a divided pickup in two modes - "normal" and synth / midi. Quite expensive though (at least for me).

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=IYEz192vaPs

Cheers
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.