CMaj7 Jam

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2009 7:50 pm
Put together a whole bunch of backup MP3's and Jam loops for a tutorial on Seventh Chords if anyone's interested, using just a couple of chords for each song. If you're looking for something to play leads to or just generally practice chords or scales with, these might be of some help.

I've included the CMaj7 MP3 here, but there's about 10 others to experiment with. Also included is recording info and an equipment list.

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/CMaj7MP3Song.mp3

http://guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=12424

Equipment Used:

Mac Core 8 Computer, 3.2ghz, 4Tb, 12Gb
M-Audio Firewire 410
Cubase 4.0
Roland PG-200 Keyboard
Xphraze Synth
PSP Vintage Warmer
LiquidInstruments ScoreFX
Liquid Instruments 'The Voice'
HalionOne
PSP Vintage Warmer
Rayspace Reverb
Yamaha Eterna Acoustic Guitar
Rode NT-1 Microphone
T-Racks 24 for Mastering

1. Started with the guitar part

I wrote a song many years ago using an A Maj 7 and an F Maj 7, so I started there. Just took the basic premise of the verses from the song and made it into this lesson.

2. Used an old MIDI file

I had another song I'd written ages ago that had the midi drums already written out so I imported those into Cubase and called up a Halion patch to play them.

3. Called up X-Phraze to play the basic synth part.

I alternated the chords on the keyboard for 2 bars and then copied and pasted it for the length of the song using a basic string patch.

4. Called up Liquid Instruments Score FX to play the basic bass part.

Had to take the C note and transpose it to an F since there was only one sample. Assigned both notes to different keys. Played them for 2 bars and copied and pasted for the length of the song.

5. Called up multiple X-Phraze synths to play various rhythm synth parts and used the copied and pasted MIDI parts to play them.

Since the chords had already been recorded in MIDI, I just copied the part to several different tracks and assigned different X-Phraze patches to each one.

6. Called up Liquid Instruments 'The Voice'.

Wanted some female vocals in the background so I used a vocal plug-in for Liquid Instruments and played around with the vocals until they timed properly with the song. Unfortunately the vocals were too 'R&B' sounding for my tastes so I had to up the pitch and formant to make them sound younger. Then because I'd stretched several of the notes, they were sounding really mechanical and had to disguise this with a heavy dose of reverb.

7. Searched the hard drive for crash and ride swell sounds.

Used 'FileBuddy' to search my hard drive and found several different crash samples and some ride swells from the Mick Fleetwood Total Drumming CD. Imported these into Cubase and dragged them around to several parts that needed it. In cases where there are abrupt changes from one synth patch to another, a ride swell or crash can be used to cover up the splice.

8. Imported a police radio sound as well as the Beach Boys singing a radio call sign from the 1960's.

Just seemed like this part of the song needed some mystery to it so I went through the hard drive looking for radio sounds (kinda corny but hey).
During the search I found an old recording of the Beach Boys singing a radio call sign so I dropped that in there as well.

9. Recorded the guitar parts

Did 2 recordings and panned them extreme left and right. Added a little compression and reverb.

10. Did one final take for video

Recording the guitar part one final time while filming and then kept this version high in the mix for the video.

11. Mixed everything down using T-Racks

Mastering is a vital process in finalizing your recordings and is covered elsewhere on the site.
# 1
equator
equator
01/05/2009 8:43 pm
Hey Kevin,
This is a very nice track, and since we don’t have a backing track for the January Assignment, I thought that it'd be cool if we could use it to record our lead guitars over it. :cool:
What do you say?

It'd be even nicer if you participate by submitting a solo as well. ;)
Let us know if its ok with you, man.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/06/2009 12:21 am
Originally Posted by: equatorHey Kevin,
This is a very nice track, and since we don’t have a backing track for the January Assignment, I thought that it'd be cool if we could use it to record our lead guitars over it. :cool:
What do you say?

It'd be even nicer if you participate by submitting a solo as well. ;)
Let us know if its ok with you, man.

Yeah, feel free to use it. :)

What do you ya do for a solo? Like... a full one for the whole song or a partial one where everybody contributes a portion & they're all spliced together?
# 3
mpaq
mpaq
01/06/2009 4:03 pm
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorYeah, feel free to use it. :)

What do you ya do for a solo? Like... a full one for the whole song or a partial one where everybody contributes a portion & they're all spliced together?

Hey Kevin,
hows life in Holland Landing treating you? (Moved from there to Mt. Albert)

We typically do our own thing with the solos and post for feedback ....I think a Jam is interesting too, to get lots of ideas on one track. A solo shouldnt really be 3min long anyway.

Equator want to try this track as a jam? I like to do somethhing either way....a really nice track....
# 4
equator
equator
01/06/2009 4:35 pm
Kevin. You can record a solo over the entire track or submit a short clip of a few bars, it is up to you.
The idea is to show your talent and also hear how each participating member plays over the same track.
It is very interesting to hear the different takes on the same track, each individual player approaches to the backing track in their own way.

Mpaq. I would love to do a collaboration, but not this time. It takes too long to upload, download, record, mix, private messaging, emailing, etc.
But, hit me with some ideas for the near future and I am in.

Kevin, thanks for providing us with the backing track. I am going to start a new thread and copy the link to the MP3 there; would you please make it a sticky and remove the older sticky which are crowding the listening section?
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 5
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/15/2009 8:04 pm
Heya Kevin-

I didn't even know this thread existed until I was just scrolling around. I was going to name my solo "Fat Chicks", but I doubt anyone would get the reference (including possibly you).

That's a really beautiful BT you did, and it'd be really cool if you did a solo over it. Everything's so subtle in it, but I think it could stand on its own as a tune. I think it'd be cool if you listened to the solos and commented on them. I'm still deciding whether to keep working on my solo or not, but I bet you'd be surprised how different players interpret a backing track.

Your name comes up every now and then in "that other forum". You should visit over there just for laughs.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/15/2009 11:55 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoHeya Kevin-

I didn't even know this thread existed until I was just scrolling around. I was going to name my solo "Fat Chicks", but I doubt anyone would get the reference (including possibly you).

That's a really beautiful BT you did, and it'd be really cool if you did a solo over it. Everything's so subtle in it, but I think it could stand on its own as a tune. I think it'd be cool if you listened to the solos and commented on them. I'm still deciding whether to keep working on my solo or not, but I bet you'd be surprised how different players interpret a backing track.

Your name comes up every now and then in "that other forum". You should visit over there just for laughs.

Of course I remember... although due to current forum rules they now have to be referred to as "Large Proportioned Females with Unfortunate Facial Characteristics"

Many thanks guys... I promise I'll listen as soon as I get up the courage. It's just kinda like.... listening to my own stuff just a coupla weeks after recording it is kinda creepy... it's sorta like watching a hidden video of yourself going to the bathroom or whatever... it kinda gives ya the heeby jeebies :)

Wish I had the time to add a solo to this thing, but with the 500 or so HD Videos I have to redo for Guitar Tricks I just don't have the time.
Even that was just a one-off recording of about 20 others I did in a couple of weeks period for lessons.

Anyways... all of em are backed up on hard drive so as long as I don't croak in the next 20 years, at some time I'll get back to em. :)
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.