Just wanted to introduce myself...(newbie)

Dread-Not
Dread-Not
01/02/2009 12:56 am
I'm keeping alive the premise that people over 40 can learn new things. I'm not exactly an old dog yet, but I feel like i'm surrounded by pups for sure. I've always loved the guitar and now have the luxury of time to learn, so here I am. I found this site and think I'm in good hands.

Please forgive a near future of "stupid questions" from me. Hope everyone gets all the six string toys they deserve in '09.

TracyD.
Austin, TX
# 1
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
01/02/2009 4:13 am
Hi Tracy,

First of all, welcome to Guitar Tricks. Second of all, you're not the only one here who is...how shall I say this...ummm...very...uh...mature...yeah, that's how I'll say it! :-) If you check out my section and also that of Doug Fearman (and others), you'll find that there are other...uh...mature players here as well :-) I just celebrated the 30th anniversary of my twenty-something birthday, just to give you an idea. :-) I dunno about the old dog part but you can learn new tricks. The only stupid question is the one not asked. Feel free to contact me anytime (I'm sure the others feel the same way) and if I can be of help, I certainly will try.

Best,

BH

P.S. Doug is an excellent player and a great guy too...very helpful.
[FONT=Verdana]Bobby Howe[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Alias: guitargeorge50[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Guitar Tricks Instructor[/FONT]

www.bobbyhowe.com

Bobby Howe's My Space Page

Bobby Howe's Facebook Page

[FONT=Verdana]"Guitarists should be able to pick up the guitar and play music on it for an hour, without a rhythm section or anything." - Joe Pass[/FONT]
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/03/2009 6:25 am
I have to agree with everything Bobby has already said, I admit I am a "young dog" at age 32 but I have a tremendous interest in music and particularly guitar so there's only really one thing I can do...keep practising guitar! :)

I'm not particularly brilliant or wise in the ways of music but I do enjoy myself and I think that in the end that is the most important thing. If you're enjoying what you're doing, then you're on the right track. There's going to be some frustration about new concepts and stuff at first but the results are well worth the effort and patience.

Endurance is the perseverance to continue what you are passionate about even when it is hard.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
Dread-Not
Dread-Not
01/03/2009 5:42 pm
Well Bobby, I guess i'm still celebrating my 20th something anniversary of my 20th something birthday too, but very soon I'll have to start celebrating my 20th anniversary of my 30th something birthday. Dang!

Anyhow, this guitar thing is very addictive. I got a new guitar at Christmas and for several weeks before that I borrowed one from a friend and I just can't put the thing down yet. I practice till my fingers hurt so much I can't pick it up, so I walk away, then 5 minutes later I walk by and pick it up again. So far I have five of the 7 major chords nailed(along with a number of minors). I can actually do an F as well, but not with as much consistancy. Forget the B chord though. For now I just do two or three strings. I think I want to go in the direction of Blues in general. I live in Austin and we have so many blues musicians and venues that I've always loved it. Just the other day I listened to a young girl playing acoustic at the sandwhich shop and she did several songs using just A, D, and E and it sounded really great. She could sing, lucky her!

One question: If I wanted to ask an instructor a question, do I just post on the forums? Are they required to moderate these?

Thansk again, see you around.

-TracyD
# 4
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/03/2009 7:32 pm
Originally Posted by: Dread-NotOne question: If I wanted to ask an instructor a question, do I just post on the forums? Are they required to moderate these?

GT have recently added the "Ask (Instructor)" forums so that you can do just that. You can find a separate forum for each of the instructors under the Full Access forums here:
http://go.guitartricks.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29

Or if you have a more general question that you think other GT users will be able to answer, you can just post it to any of the other related forums.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.