Re-post in this forum

Peter vickers
Peter vickers
12/31/2008 3:34 pm
advice needed

Hi All,

Happy New Year to everyone.

I have bought a new guitar for myself, its a Takamine EG540C, I bought it on Saturday 27th Dec last week, I have noticed a slight buzz on the note "e" 4 string 2nd fret.

Please don't trash my guitar choice, I love it but needed to know what you guys would do?

1) Take it back to the shop and accept their offer to "set it up"
2) Take it back for a refund
3) Ask them to replace it with a new guitar

I don't want to be heavy handed about this, it's my first new guitar so I am disappointed but not suicidal lol.

Guitars are livning breathing things so I know they are all different.

Help Please.

Thanks

Pete

Lisa, Thanks for your reply, I agree!!
Edit/Delete Message
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
12/31/2008 4:01 pm
Hi. If it were me, I would ask about the set up. If it wasn't set up before you bought it, that could be the problem. Maybe the action needs raised a little? Not sure but if you like the guitar, try to solve the trouble.

That's what I would do anyway.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
guitargeorge50
Bobby Howe
12/31/2008 4:05 pm
Hello Peter,

I would take it back and give them the opportunity to make it right. It might be something very simple...new strings and a check of the setup. I don't think you are being heavy handed to ask for your guitar to be made right. Any competent guitar shop or guitar dealer from whom you have bought a guitar should strive to make it right with you. You are, after all, the customer and the customer is always right.

I am unclear as to whether or not this guitar is a new guitar or it is new to you, i.e., "pre-owned." In either case, it seems to me that you only have a short window of opportunity to have your concerns addressed. After enough time goes by, I'm guessing...30 days or so...the guitar shop could say that you caused the problem...and that's probably fair on their part...they give you (in this example) 30 days to determine if the guitar has any problems which didn't show up at the time of purchase.

I'm sure that if you maintain a cool head, the guitar shop will try to make it right with you. If a particular sales person is uncooperative about the situation, then ask for the manager. Surely, he or she will listen. If not, I certainly wouldn't do any more business there. It is in the guitar shop's best interest to keep you happy.

One way or the other, they should either fix the guitar to your satisfaction or offer to take it back in exchange on another guitar.

I don't know if this helps but I hope so. Keep us posted with how it turns out. I hope you get your guitar problems resolved.

Best wishes and Happy New Year,

BH
[FONT=Verdana]Bobby Howe[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]Alias: guitargeorge50[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]Guitar Tricks Instructor[/FONT]

www.bobbyhowe.com

Bobby Howe's My Space Page

Bobby Howe's Facebook Page

[FONT=Verdana]"Guitarists should be able to pick up the guitar and play music on it for an hour, without a rhythm section or anything." - Joe Pass[/FONT]
# 3
Peter vickers
Peter vickers
12/31/2008 5:40 pm
[QUOTE=guitargeorge50]Hello Peter,

I am unclear as to whether or not this guitar is a new guitar or it is new to you, i.e., "pre-owned."

Hi, It is a brand new guitar, or at least it was sold to me as a "new" guitar, although I looked at Takamine website and found my model in the "archive" section, not too happy about that but the guitar is pristine so I am not too concerned about that.

Thanks

peter
# 4
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
12/31/2008 9:54 pm
My experience is that brand new guitars are generally not set up right.

Set up is labor-intensive by a skilled person, and so the manufacturers don't really do as good of a job as they should.

Steve White (our guitar tech) was able to make some great improvements setting up my Martin even though it was brand new from the factory.

I think the store will probably be able to fix this.

Hope that helps.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.