BluRay DVD

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/12/2008 5:29 pm
This is kinda off topic but it has to do with wanting to play an instructional guitar video so I figured I'd ask here.

I just bought an instructional guitar BluRay DVD and it doesn't play on my DVD player. (it just says "error".)

I kinda figure I'll need a DVD player capable of playing BluRay discs but what I'm wondering is if they'll play on a regular 4:3 TV screen or will I also need a Hi Def TV to view them as well.

Right now I've got a regular DVD player and a Sony 28" 4:3 television (you know....the 'ancient' ones with the actual tube)
Am I looking at buying both a new DVD player and a Hi Def flat screen or will I be ok with just a new DVD player?

I only bought the Sony 28" about a year ago so I'm not really into trashing it already and updating all my PVR stuff to HiDef if I can get away with it.
(besides..I invalidated the warranty on my rented PVR cause I replaced the hard drive with a 300GB so if I try to take it back now and exchange it for a HiDef, I might end up getting stuck with it cause I opened the case.)

Any info appreciated.
# 1
Guitar Tricks Manager
Administrator
Guitar Tricks Manager
Administrator
12/13/2008 5:29 pm
Kevin,

I feel your pain of retail electronic woes. I have them all the time with studio updates, etc.

To my knowledge, Blue-Ray discs can only be played on a Blue-Ray player and not on a DVD player. I'm sure a Blue-Ray player would have analog outputs, but with that type of resolution and clarity, it's best to have it hooked up to a digital TV via an HDMI cable. Over the past two years, with getting a few flat screen TV, two years ago, and getting a HD Tivo player, I've gotten all too familiar on how you have to get all the elements just right.

The good thing, if you newer DVD player has a digital output, you could get great resolution plugged into a HD TV. Such TV's almost always have an HDMI input, and hopefully two or more, so you can get multiple digital inputs, without having to go behind the scenes and switching the cable out from say digital cable, to digital DVD or Blue-Ray player. Mine has one input, and that is a drag.

Anyway.... Happy Holidaze. Maybe tell Santa what big boy toys you want and see what happens. ;-)
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/14/2008 6:06 pm
heh...I wish my family gave gifts like that...
I'll just get the usual stuff I get every year.
12 pairs of Happy Feet socks, 2 t-shirts, a pair of track pants and a bottle of Golden Pair liqueur.. and pretend to look surprised.

Guess I'll have to go out and take a look at the outputs on a BluRay player.

And yeah, fer sure...one of my biggest pet peeves is things like having a bunch of different format players and there's only one input on the stupid tv.
I even tried buying a switcher but the cables are so heavy it keeps pulling the thing back down behind the TV where I can't reach it. So now it's even more work than it would be to just switch the cables myself.
# 3
Guitar Tricks Manager
Administrator
Guitar Tricks Manager
Administrator
12/14/2008 6:10 pm
Try double sided tape, maybe the switcher won't fall back behind the TV. Just an idea. Or those thin little squares of foam that are sticky on both sides.

Just an idea...

Happy Holidays, man.
LEO
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.