PIT REPORT - Staind in concert

wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
12/02/2008 4:10 am

STAIND

Aaron Lewis, lead singer and guitarist for the band Staind, has single-handedly resurrected the musician in me. I caught him on his solo acoustic tour a couple of times last year, one of which had me driving through whiteout conditions in the dead of winter way up north to Verona, New York. These were unpretentious shows with Lewis seated on a stool playing the angst-rich ballads he’s known for and taking requests from the crowd, songs ranging from “Puff the Magic Dragon” to a cover of Tool’s “Sober”. The easy repartee Lewis has with his audience made these shows feel more like casual, impromptu performances for a bunch of friends just hanging out in his living room than organized events. He connects with his fans. It was as intimate as I’d been with music for some time.

A couple weekends ago, I headed to Dayton, Ohio, where Staind was headlining a show with Seether, Papa Roach, and State of Shock. Having never seen Staind live, I didn’t know what to expect from a band who has evolved from the thick, dark nu metal of 1996’s Tormented to their latest effort, the far more melodic The Illusion of Progress, released in August of this year. Throw in Lewis’s unplugged shows, and I was wide-eyed with anticipation when the lights went down and Staind took the stage.

Unlike many of their hard/alternative rock, post-grunge contemporaries, Staind’s original line-up has remained intact since its November 1995 inception and includes lead guitarist Mike Mushok, drummer Jon Wysocki, and bassist/ vocalist Johnny April in addition to frontman Lewis. The band from Springfield, Massachusetts, began as a cover band, playing everything from Korn and Rage Against the Machine to Tool, Alice in Chains and Pearl Jam. As a nu metal band, a classification that makes Lewis bristle, their emphasis was on mood over melodic, complex instrumentation with aggressive, agitated vocals that ranged from singing to guttural screaming to rapping. Legend has it that Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit initially took such offense to the controversial cover of their self-released debut album Tormented that he tried to have Staind kicked off the bill when they played a show with him. Staind’s live show not only changed Durst’s mind, it won them his respect and friendship. Durst signed the band to his Flip record label and went on to direct a few videos for the band including the video for “It’s Been Awhile”, probably the band’s most well-known song. He also acted as one of the executive producers on Dysfunction and Break the Cycle, the album which would bring Staind international success, going to #1 in both the States and the UK. Break the Cycle would see the band move away from nu metal for alternative metal. The album resulted in five hit singles including “Outside” and the acoustic ballad “Epiphany”.

I was surprised by just how hard Staind rocks. It was a blistering performance, start to finish. Mike Mushok appeared to be having the time of his life as he jumped non-stop around the stage with his guitar strapped to him, smiling through the entire set. Never have I seen such an animated, energetic performer. This is a man passionate about what he does, and for those of us less so, you can’t help but envy and admire him. And be happy for him. Mushok plays primarily baritone guitars including a PRS and an Alvarez Baritone Acoustic. He’s worked with Ibanez to develop the Ibanez MMM1 Mike Mushok Signature Baritone Electric Guitar that promises the ultimate in sustain and tuning ability. Mushok started taking guitar lessons at age 6 and went through the entire Mel Bay series. When he started his first band at age 12, he was practicing 8-10 hours a day. His inspirations were singer songwriters like James Taylor, Harry Chapin and Jim Croce. A little later on, he would discover Led Zeppelin and Van Halen.

Mushok has a soaring guitar solo on the moody “Pardon Me” from The Illusion of Progress that proved to be one of the highlights of the night. I can still see him bounding about the stage while a fixed Lewis, fisting his microphone, delivered inspired vocals. Some two weeks after the show now, and I’m still singing that one.

Illusion is a far more textured offering than any of the band’s past releases with touches of Pink Floyd and bluesy guitar solos. It features a pedal-steel guitar and includes a track with a gospel-styled chorus. Old guitars and amps were used for the recording of the album including Lewis’s Gibson 1968 Les Paul Gold Top and Fender ‘62 Jazzmaster. What results are classic, vintage tones. He plays these guitars on the current tour as well.

Lewis’s reputation for dourness is not without merit. His pensive, sensitive lyrics reveal his vulnerabilities as he continually strives for the redemption that eludes him. He is the introspective anti-hero we can’t help but root for, a self-proclaimed screw-up, someone trying to make peace with his demons. In “Right Here”, Lewis poignantly asks, I know I’ve been mistaken, but just give me a break and the see the changes that I’ve made. I’ve got some imperfections, but how can you collect them all and throw them in my face? And in “It’s Been Awhile”, a song where he makes reference to his previous drug addiction and failed relationships, his pain is palpable. And everything I can’t remember, as ****** up as it all may seem, the consequences that I’ve rendered, I’ve gone and ****** things up again. Why must I feel this way? Just make this go away. Just one more peaceful day. Lewis’s day-to-day existence has inspired six emotionally tumultuous albums. His brooding vocals are pure catnip to me.

As the last notes of "Mudshovel" faded out and the arena lights came up that night in Dayton, I slowly made my way through a beer-drenched pit littered with plastic cups and whatnot. Two grown women had reached a stalemate over who would take home a drumstick Jon Wysocki had tossed into the crowd before the band left the stage. My ears were ringing, and I knew they would ring for days. Strangers smiled knowingly at one another. As the pit dispersed, every now and then a head would turn back for one last lingering look. Staind had reconciled their hard-rock audience with their ballad-loving, pop crowd that sold out Lewis’s solo gigs. My expectations were exceeded, and that only left me wanting more.

Staind will be performing on The Tonight Show December 17th at 11 PM EST. Aaron Lewis is set to play a few solo gigs in Nevada at the beginning of January before the band heads for the UK a couple weeks later. Wherever you happen to be along the tour route, be sure to check Staind out and let me know what you think. See you in the pit.
# 1

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.