View post (Music or Lyrics first?)

View thread

warriorpoet
warriorpoet
12/12/2008 11:02 pm
Here is the way I do it. First off, I always have something to either write on or record on. I have lost some very good material because I couldnt remember. I keep a pen and writing tablet at my bedside. My girlfriend hates it when I wake up at 3am and start writing!!! LOL
I usually start with the music or a melody and expand from that basic idea. I have a cheap tape recorder that I keep in my home studio. That way I dont have to turn everything on in order to record. Just hit the button and go. Writing down notes as I move along. For me, the lyrics just come out eventually. I dont like to force a song and sometimes it will take a year just to finish one song. In my opinion, the harder you try to write a song, the more it sounds "forced". Let it flow and take your time. If it was supposed to be a song, it will be. I keep a folder with every lyrical idea that pops into my feeble brain. One simple saying or sentance can turn into an incredible song. and remember, if it sounds wrong, it is wrong.
-Shawn Smith