Lead problem. :o)

PittbullBlue
PittbullBlue
12/11/2001 1:01 am
Hi. I am a rythme (can't spell) guitarist. I was taught rythme and I'm having trouble learning to play lead now. I took a crash course in guitar and was thrown into a band before I was really ready. I moved away from the people in my old band and for awhile completely quit playing. Now I have problems learning from books...I hate reading music and tab. I don't know what to do. I finally found someone who wants to jam with me...but, I only know the songs I was taught or picked up over the few years I was learning to play. I don't know if you can help but, anything would be greatly appreciated. What I'm really concerned about isn't really lead...it's just that the guy I found to jam with is really, really good and he just lost feeling in 2 of his fingers, now he plays drums. Ive only played with him a few times...and I just don't want him to think I suck. I don't want to always play the same songs over and over. I want to be able to learn on my own and show him that I have talent. PLEASE HELP ME!!! LOL
Practice...Practice...PRACTICE!!!! It really does make perfect. :)
# 1
crazyguy
crazyguy
12/11/2001 10:33 am
It is always kinda comforting to think there's a complex way to learn to play, and once you've passed, you're a better player. The truth is that anything you learn will help you, and only learning will help you. Some advice, though :
*Make sure you love playing guitar or all your attempts are useless. Don't do it just to be cool or to impress friends. There's other ways to do that.
*Become fluent in chord changes (practice along to the songs you like, or anything on the radio, TV or whatever).
*Pentatonic scale is the easiest way to get some soloing skills. Learn all the boxes (positions). Gradually go over to major/minor scales.
*Practice with a drum machine, metronome, recorded songs, or record your own background (with a metronome to keep you in tempo). Rythm playing is what you do 50-90% of the time while playing with others.
*Learn everything you think might be usefull for you and at least skip through the stuff you don't understand or don't consider useful every once a while. As you learn, your appetites for knowledge will (should) grow.
*Learn what you don't know, use what you know.
*Learn songs by ear or from tabs. That's what you'll be playing or composing.
*Practice 'till you dehydrate and then force yourself to some more. It's the only way so love it!

Good luck! :)

P.S. You'll find all the theory you need on this or other sites, most of it with audio examples.
Impendance is fruitfull
while the buttons are circled.:eek:
# 2
PittbullBlue
PittbullBlue
12/11/2001 10:01 pm
Thank you for replying Crazy guy...LOL you didn't have to type so much...I love playing guitar and have wanted to since I was young...My parents even say now...that they are sorry for waiting to get me a guitar. It's not that I don't know how to learn, I'm an extremely quick learner...show me it once or twice and give me a minute and I'll get it. It's just that now I don't have anyone to show me...I try to learn from listening but, sometimes it's hard to get it right. I'm definately not doing it to impress anyone...I do it because I love it...and believe me I used to drain myself pretty good and kept on playing. LOL. What I really meant to say before was that...I don't like learning from tab or books...thats way more difficult for me than seeing it or hearing it. I just don't know...if by listening and learning...if I'm actually learning it correctly...if you understand what I mean. :o) Thank you so much for your advice.
Practice...Practice...PRACTICE!!!! It really does make perfect. :)
# 3
David Gilmour
David Gilmour
12/12/2001 2:59 pm
I think that most of the others on this board would agree on a couple key pointers for you:

1. Learn how to read tab. If you find it difficult, start with something simple, but if you don't learn some form of music reading, you'll never learn new songs or chords.

2. Get some lessons. You'll probably surprise yourself with how much of a difference it makes. The teacher will show you the correct (or easiest) way to do certain things, teach you songs, etc, especially if you don't like self-learning from books or the net.

3. Playing the guitar shouldn't be about showing off talent, but should be about your own personal expression. If you're always trying to improve, you shouldn't be concerned about what other people think.

I think that the most important point is the first one. I found tab reading difficult at first, but now I can sight read a song or solo (if it's not too crazy fast) the first time I see it. The same will happen to you, with time.
see you on the dark side of the moon
# 4
joshldoherty
joshldoherty
12/18/2001 10:09 pm
Defineatley learn the pentatonic scales. THAT IS A MUST! If you know somebody that wants to jam, ask him/ her to help. Ask him to stay in one key and have you just play the different pentatonic scales. Also play them over and over until you know them backwards and forwards. Then try just turning on the radio or playing a CD. There aren't that many people I know that play guitar, so thats what I do most of the time.

If u get a teacher, ask him/her to show you the pentatonic scales, modes, and anything else he thinks of. My teacher likes to jam w/ me once in a while to check up on how well im doin. This helps a lot.

Finally, you MUST learn how to read TAB. If you don't, it'll be really hard for you to learn new songs unless someone shows you.

Good Luck
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.