View post (Trivium - Shogun)

View thread

ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
11/29/2008 7:49 pm
Yeah I'd agree with it all pretty much down the line.
Their first cd was hit & miss for me...2nd one I never bought, but from what I heard...I didn't like it.

But Shogun really hit just right for me. Good, heavy 7 string riffs, lots of soloing and it felt like they were trying to push themselves on this one. Didn't come off as a bunch of autopilot tunes to me, like their last one did & a few pieces of their first one.

Only part that I don't care for, is the all out scream/growl thing that Heafy tries to do. He's got a great voice for the straight singing & Hetfield-style shouting...but the growling stuff just comes off as overly forced to me. Probably since I'm just not a huge fan of that sort of style overall.

But the rest of it...I give them solid credit for taking some chances and actually going heavier, yet catchier than most of their previous work.

If you're a fan of the good heavy de-tuned riffage in this vein...check out Threat Signal as well. They've got a new one coming out soon I think, but their previous release "Under Reprisal" has a steady spot in my playlist. Again...tons of screaming...but the tunes are catchy & heavy as hell.

Don