Trivium - Shogun

Superhuman
Superhuman
11/03/2008 12:35 am
I never took these guys seriously before but I heard really great things about their latest album 'Shogun' and I have to say in all fairness the guitarwork on this album is frickin awesome. Very surprised by these guys - I liked the Metlallica style vocals and the death metal stylings but was not too pushed by the 'nice' vocal style but as I said the guitar playing is brilliant from start to finish. Nothing overly difficult but just very cool. Check it out if you like the virtuosity of old Metallica - its actually that good but I think the solos are even better here, wah work included.
# 1
head_creeps
head_creeps
11/16/2008 4:25 pm
Nothing overly difficult but just very cool.

Goddam showoff!! ;) :D

Great album, good live too!!

head_creeps
# 2
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
11/29/2008 7:49 pm
Yeah I'd agree with it all pretty much down the line.
Their first cd was hit & miss for me...2nd one I never bought, but from what I heard...I didn't like it.

But Shogun really hit just right for me. Good, heavy 7 string riffs, lots of soloing and it felt like they were trying to push themselves on this one. Didn't come off as a bunch of autopilot tunes to me, like their last one did & a few pieces of their first one.

Only part that I don't care for, is the all out scream/growl thing that Heafy tries to do. He's got a great voice for the straight singing & Hetfield-style shouting...but the growling stuff just comes off as overly forced to me. Probably since I'm just not a huge fan of that sort of style overall.

But the rest of it...I give them solid credit for taking some chances and actually going heavier, yet catchier than most of their previous work.

If you're a fan of the good heavy de-tuned riffage in this vein...check out Threat Signal as well. They've got a new one coming out soon I think, but their previous release "Under Reprisal" has a steady spot in my playlist. Again...tons of screaming...but the tunes are catchy & heavy as hell.

Don
# 3
jamesplaysgitar
jamesplaysgitar
12/23/2008 6:49 am
ugh.
trivium and threat signal.

im sorry i just dont get into them at all.
when i listen to metal, i listen to really heavy stuff, he kinda ruins the song with the clean vocals like slipknot.
and i hate inhale screams lol...
# 4
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
12/23/2008 8:20 am
I dunno... I've never been able to get into that style of rock.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 5
jamesplaysgitar
jamesplaysgitar
12/25/2008 5:21 am
i think i would put metal seperate from rock.

they just seem too different to me.
# 6
liarcangel
liarcangel
02/13/2009 3:12 pm
after 3 cds and seeing a live performance I would say props to everything trivium does on the instrumental level. Their vocals and lyrics however have always left something to be desired...I mean, it is admirable to try and sound so much like Metallica....but they really seem to lose themselves in it, especially in The Crusade. I have not listened to all of Shogun enough times to judge it as harshly, but after hearing several of their tracks live from it, I would say it is more of the same. Which is awesome in its own respect, but it does make me wish they would try to grow out of their single style and not just see how fast they can go.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.