Strat or Tele

LChance
LChance
09/11/2008 5:23 pm
Hi,

I am going to take take the plunge and upgrade my axe, in the near future. I'm thinking Fender at this point but I'm open to suggestions.

My primary passion is country but I'd like something versatile enough to do some other stuff too. I've done some surfing around the net, to try to find out what some of my country guitar favorites are using. I've seen a lot of Telecasters but have seen some Stratocasters too.

Second question, if I go with the Telecaster, do you suggest an alder or ash body?
# 1
Nynvolt
Nynvolt
09/17/2008 5:26 pm
Hey.

If I were you I'd ask to pick up and play a few diffrent guitars to see what you like "feel" wise. I thinks Strats may have a versitility edge on the Tele. Both are popular with blues and country players.

As for which wood, you will need to play the guitars unplugged and listen to it, the wood will have a subtle effect on the sound. If it sounds good unplugged it will sound better amplified. I think there may be a weight diffrence too. So strap it on.

For me it's embarassing to do this in a store but I do it anyway. It's your money and you should make sure your happy with what you get. Set a budget before you go to the store and try out diffrent guitars in your price range, it may be that what suits you best insn't a Fender at all. I'm not against Fender or anything, but just think it's good to go in with an open mind and find whats just right for you. Artists get their guitars for free so they are not a good benchmark as whats the best for any particular style of music.
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/18/2008 12:41 am
A Tele is a quirky lil' beast, but its a fine instrument if you can work with it.

As for versatility, you already know about the country pickers that use 'em. You can add another fella by the name of Jimmy Page to list of Tele devotees. You might have heard of him. ;)
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
ren
ren
09/18/2008 3:46 pm
I've got a US Standard Tele with an ash body... I didn't set out with that in mind, but I played every one in the store and the ash one was the best to my ear...

So, whatever you go for... play as many as you can and pick the one that stands out... :)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
LChance
LChance
09/18/2008 5:10 pm
Hi,

Thanks so much for the responses. I already have an electric with humbuckers, so I'm going for the single coils this time.

I understand what everyone is saying about go to the store and try out all the guitars I can, my issue is, living in a rural community, I have a choice of one store. They primarily carry Fenders, although they have about 3 Schecters (sp?) (they all have HB's). What this store offers, for the most part, are Squire Strats and Teles, and Strats and Teles that are made in Mexico, Japan and Korea (not even any American mades :( ). Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Fender, it's just all they about have.

I still have two questions:

1. (Original question) Is it my imagination, or is there a reason Teles are so prevalent in country music? Can that "country sound" be had just as easily on a Strat or any other guitar?

2. Are the MIM Strats and Teles better in quality than the ones made in Japan or Korea, as a general rule? I've heard lots of good things about the MIM's, not so much on the others.

A Tele is a quirky lil' beast, but its a fine instrument if you can work with it.

What did you mean by quirky?

As for versatility, you already know about the country pickers that use 'em. You can add another fella by the name of Jimmy Page to list of Tele devotees. You might have heard of him.

Jimmy who? :p There's also a guy by the name of Jeff Beck, who has enjoyed using a Tele. ;)
# 5
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/19/2008 6:22 am
Quirky? Well, yeah....

The body contours aren't nearly as ergonomic as the Strat, which benefitted from being Leo's 'second guess' in this regard.

The classic 3-saddle bridge imposes some intonation/tuning conditions that you just don't find anywhere else.

Ever noticed that nobody else copied that fugly headstock shape? :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
Lao_Tzu
Lao_Tzu
09/19/2008 1:58 pm
why not both?
# 7
darrenfauth
darrenfauth
09/20/2008 6:46 am
I've got to second Lao_Tzu..get 'em both, that's what you'll end up doing in the end :)

Really though, I've got a Fender Tele MIM 1969 Thinline re-issue and I love it. It feels, plays and looks great. I did put in a pair of Samarium Cobalt pups since that is what is in the Fender Custom Shop Tele.

The Strat will be the more versatile of the two though I think...
# 8
Dave.Kurt
Dave.Kurt
11/07/2008 6:35 pm
I'm thinking of buying a Stratocaster Squier Affinity series Red. I'm interested in rock so I think I'll choose The Strat over the Tele 1) It's cheaper 2) It's more versatile.
# 9
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
11/07/2008 10:41 pm
These are all American made, have heard that with a little modification the MIM teles aren't bad. I can pick a tele out from any other guitar on a recording, can also tell when I hear a strat.

Most country pickers play a tele because of it's sound, and I think it has something to do with the positioning of the pickups. The bridge pickup is very close to the saddles, and everyone knows how the tone of a guitar changes when you strum closer to the bridge with a pick. It sounds twangier, and a single coil pickup is usually more on the high end. I have different pickups in all of my teles, but they still sound like a tele.

The other country players like Brent mason, Johnny Hiland, Keith Urban, Brad Paisley, just to mention a few use whatever the gig, or the recording calls for. Most of the time brent will play his modified tele, that's covered in smoke residue from all the bar gigs. Before Paul Reid Smith started their endorsement with Johnny Hiland, he always played a tele. The majority of the country lead, and solos today are recorded with a tele. Unless the song has blues feel to it, then they may go with a strat.

I'm thinking you're after the sound you hear in those hot solos by Brent, Brad, and Keith. I agree that you should play the guitar before you buy it, and on the 3 saddle thing you can always put a strat plus bridge on it with six saddles. I did that with my 93 tele, along with a few other mods.

Well that's enough out of me, I think I'll go pick on a tele for a while. Get ready for the gig tonight, hope everyone has a great weekend.

JD
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.