Electric or Acoustic?

urbnrckrr
urbnrckrr
08/18/2008 12:47 am
I wanted to know which one i should buy, i mean does the electric sound okay without drums? Does it sound good when you play it like it would with an acoustic? [if i make any sense lol]
# 1
Don Schexnayder
Don Schexnayder
08/18/2008 1:27 pm
If you want to end up playing rock, soloing, etc, I'd recommend going with an electric guitar.

An electric might cost you more in the beginning, since you'll need to buy an amp, too...but it's easier on your hands when you're just starting out than an acoustic guitar, and you'll probably end up buying an electric later on, anyway, so you'll save some money in the long run.

An electric guitar sounds fine playing without drums...and when you do start playing with a drummer, your guitar will actually be able to be heard over the drums.
Donnie Schexnayder
www.ColoradoGuitarLessons.com
www.myspace.com/donnieschexnayder
# 2
urbnrckrr
urbnrckrr
08/18/2008 4:27 pm
electric it is! thanks so much =D
# 3
Nynvolt
Nynvolt
08/19/2008 3:11 pm
You can make an electric sound like an acoustic but starting out on an acoustic has it's advantages. The strings may require more strength to hold and bend but this is something that will be useful, building strength in your hands and fingers. Also the strings tend to be spaced a tad wider on acoustics, or atleast in my experiance. This is helpful when learning chords, it might be more frustrating learning them with strings that are closer together. Also an acoustic, even a cheap model, can be alot of fun to cary around camping or where ever, no need for an amp. The acoustic will always get use even when you have a killer electric to jam with, its just so much simpler to pick it up when you get inpired and need to hear some notes you've running through your head. And lastly it's a much cheaper investment. If you decide guitar is not your thing, you have something that didn't set you back too much.

I'm no expert by any means but when people ask, I always advise buying an acoustic first. If you love it, your going to buy more guitars anyway. So yea if you buy an acoustic first and dig it, you will buy an electric. But even if you start with an electric and dig it, you will eventually buy an acoustic. It's just the law of nature haha.
# 4
VintageGuitar
VintageGuitar
08/21/2008 7:13 pm
Originally Posted by: NynvoltYou can make an electric sound like an acoustic but starting out on an acoustic has it's advantages. The strings may require more strength to hold and bend but this is something that will be useful, building strength in your hands and fingers. Also the strings tend to be spaced a tad wider on acoustics, or atleast in my experiance. This is helpful when learning chords, it might be more frustrating learning them with strings that are closer together. Also an acoustic, even a cheap model, can be alot of fun to cary around camping or where ever, no need for an amp. The acoustic will always get use even when you have a killer electric to jam with, its just so much simpler to pick it up when you get inpired and need to hear some notes you've running through your head. And lastly it's a much cheaper investment. If you decide guitar is not your thing, you have something that didn't set you back too much.

I'm no expert by any means but when people ask, I always advise buying an acoustic first. If you love it, your going to buy more guitars anyway. So yea if you buy an acoustic first and dig it, you will buy an electric. But even if you start with an electric and dig it, you will eventually buy an acoustic. It's just the law of nature haha.

I think this is great advice. Just starting out go for the acoustic. If you start with an electric guitar you will pick up a lot of bad habits as the electric is much more forgiving than an acoustic guitar.

If you start with the acoustic then switch to electric you will find the electric very easy to play. If you go the other way and start with the electric and then pick up and acoustic you quickly discover the bad habits you developed while playing the electric. That is my two cents anyway :D
# 5
kjuggs
kjuggs
08/31/2008 12:00 pm
Wow! this is a tough question, seriously! On one hand, the beginner wants to see at least a few early results, especially when they love rock and roll, and not folk music. But on the other hand, an acoustic does build the chord progression/rhythm skills greatly. I wish I had spent more time on the acoustic, as there are so many great songs for the acoustic that dont sound right electric, such as side B of GnR's Lies album (man I am showing my age!), as well as Godsmack unplugged... I have used both, and I practice in proportion to the amount of acoustic songs found on a typical rock album, usually one per 8 or nine songs, regarding between switching between electrics and acoustics, as far as time goes. Remember, it's music- it's what you feel like playing, though, and some days you just don't want to play heavy. I have to admit, there is nothing like learning how to play one of your favorite sabbath or some 70's aerosmith electric solos... it feels more satisfying to learn that than 'american pie.' Good luck!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.