String types?

Nekhabet
Nekhabet
07/27/2008 12:00 am
I've been snooping around in my local music store looking for replacement strings and I'm a little confused about those things. (Right now I'm using Martin's Marquis 80/20 Bronze Extra Light .010 - .047 -- what ever the heck that means...)

Light, medium, heavy, huh?

A Google search yields many, many ads for different strings, how to change strings, etc., etc. but I haven't been able to find out the actual difference between the different weighs/gauges(?)

At first, my thoughts were that the different types affected the action while playing but then I thought it maybe affected the tone (or maybe both?)

I'm gonna keep looking but any pointers or hints in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nek.
Patience and practice leads the way.
# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/27/2008 12:58 am
Hi Nek-

Here are a few things you might think about when choosing strings:

The first factor to consider as regards how your strings effect your tone is the gauge of the strings.

Light Gauge strings will have a quieter and thinner tone. They will also be easier on the left hand, as they are easier to press down. If you are able to press down with good pressure, you’ll get better tone out of you chords. However, since they are made of the thinnest wire, they are more delicate than other gauges. This means they might get a little overwhelmed if you strum really hard, creating a jangly or buzzy tone.

Medium Gauge strings will have a bolder, warmer tone than light gauge. They will tolerate being strummed rather aggressively, as well as responding well to more subtle or delicate right hand techniques. They are harder on the left hand, so you may begin to get tone issues due to the difficulty in pressing them down with solid pressure.

Heavy Gauge strings will have a bold, almost unyielding, sound. They are best suited for high energy strumming where you want a lot of punch and volume. They will be toughest on the left hand, and will not be as responsive to more subtle or delicate right hand techniques.

The wound strings of the guitar are made by one single strand of wire, wrapped tightly by a much thinner wire coiled around it end to end. The variety of wire the strings are made of will have an effect on the tone.

In recent years some manufacturers have started making coated strings. These strings have some sort of coating on them that protects the wound strings from accumulating schmutz and gunk from your hands. This keeps the strings sounding “newer” for a much longer time than uncoated strings.

Uncoated strings have a spectacular brightness when they are brand new. That brightness fades over time as you play the instrument and begin to tire out the strings. Coated strings may lack that initial brilliance when they are brand new, but maintain a fresh consistent tone for quite a bit longer than uncoated strings.

My personal favorite is coated, light gauge, phosphor bronze strings.

Hope this helps! -Lisa McCormick
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
07/27/2008 2:53 pm
For electric:

I just bought 10 packs of .010 to .052 (10-52's) from eBay for $65 + $15 shipping, and it saved me about $100. They are GHS Boomers and they sound awesome! Best thing I have done for my guitar playing in a little while because now as soon as I can hear the strings are getting dull, I can change them out immediately without having to wait till I have the time to go and buy some. I wouldn't recommend buying in bulk until you have an idea of what type and gauge you want of course.. but when you do find your favourites, it makes a lot of sense.

I usually recommend 9-49's to people who ask me, they are quite light and still have a decent sound.

My acoustic strung with Dean Markley - PhosBronze - XL 10-48's, they don't stay very bright for long but they are durable and have a nice action. I'd recommend these over the LT's which are 11-42's because it has a nice transition of light through to heavy. The LT's are good though because they keep everything light throughout all 6 strings.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
Nekhabet
Nekhabet
07/29/2008 12:26 am
Hey Lisa & Light,

I was hoping to put your advice to good use today while picking up some strings but the car broke down and I had deal with that...drat!

Thanks again for the info!

Nek.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/29/2008 1:14 am
Check out the hybrid gauges as well, like custom light:

This gives you a lighter high end for leads and a heavier bottom end for chunking.
# 5
Nekhabet
Nekhabet
08/04/2008 1:49 am
Hello all:

I just wanted to follow up on the thread.

I went out and got a pack of lights and mediums. I was planning on picking up a pack of "heavies" as well but the place didn't have any.

I got a chance to string up the lights today and, boy, do they sound snappy -- I'm looking forward to trying the mediums.

Kevin: the hybrid gauges that you talk about -- do they come prepackaged or is it a matter of mixing and matching strings from a couple of packs?

Anyway, thanks again for the information. This thread has been printed and archived in my practice book.

Thanks again,
Nek.
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/04/2008 1:57 am
Yes, they come prepackaged.
Dean Markley calls them Custom Lights for instance, with the guages:

# 7
Nynvolt
Nynvolt
08/04/2008 4:03 pm
I always suggest light for beginners, I've been a beginner since 1986 so I should know :p

They are much easier on the fingers and help build confidence and strength. It's much less frustrating. I've tried medium and heavy and for my ability they just hurt my fingers and make chords harder.
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.