looking for a little moral support

BrokenJera
BrokenJera
07/22/2008 8:28 pm
hello everyone its been a while since i posted or even visted the site.
congrats to all the winners of the 10th anniversery prizes.

well its been an interesting month or so for me. first my hands started shaking so bad i couldnt even play guitar. i had to get one of those sport bottles with the squirt top just to drink water. then i spent a while in the hospital something about my kindneys nearly shutting down or something to do with my medication being at near toxic levels (i am bipolar and do take lithium), needless to say i checked out AMA. and finally the worst news my computer finally died and i have no hope of fixing it any time soon.

well my hands have stopped shaking for the most part and i can play again. im also down to about have a pack of smokes a day and 15 or 20 pounds lighter, so things are looking up.

anyway sob story apart, heres the reason im posting.

i havent played in about a little over a month, i was playing today on my washburn acoustic (martin medium gauge strings tuned to D) and it set my hands both my finger tips and the rest (fingers, wrist, thumb,pad) on fire. so what im looking for is a little help and advice one how i should esae back into it with out killing my self so i can get back to where i was by the middle of august (when my lessons are set to resume).

thanks for any advice.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
07/23/2008 9:21 am
Hey man, good to hear you caught things in time without doing yourself permanent damage. Had a health scare recently too that had me getting brain scans - luckily it turned out to be nothing more than hearing damage and tinitus (which is bad enought but not life threatening). Every now and then I get prescribed Xanax becuase of stress at work and this can impact on my ability to fret the guitar accurately - when that happens I just turn the light off and play by feel. I don't look at the fretboard at all or think about shapes or chords - just work around free style. Its very therapeutic and actually helps me to relax properly plus it has added a new dimension to my style. Not sure if that's what you're looking for, hope you get back on track soon.
# 2
ren
ren
07/23/2008 10:03 am
Hey Broken...

Sorry to hear you've been suffering... but glad you're on the way back.... :)

Is buying an electric an option? Less string tension might make it easier on you. When I had myself an accident years ago I bought a 'gripmaster' to exercise my hand / wrist etc and get everything moving a bit. They're in the $10 ballpark, and might help with the recovery.

Other than that, all I can suggest is taking it slow... Without knowing how you play - if electric isn't an option, perhaps try playing from the 12th fret instead of open position.... where again there is less string tension and hopefully you'll find it easier going. You could also go for lighter strings.

Good luck dude, and make sure you don't get tendonitis to add to everything else.... ;) Be patient and hopefully it will improve as time passes...

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/23/2008 10:55 am
You could also use a capo temporarily. Use it on the 3rd fret for awhile until you get used to playing again. It'll make the strings easier to play..just remember that you're tuning will be 3 steps higher than normal.
If you wanted to you could also tune down 3 steps to compensate, which has the added bonus of loosening the strings and making it even easier to play.
# 4
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
07/23/2008 6:32 pm
thanks to everyone for the reply it makes me happy to see that guitar players stick up for one another.

well i have my fender and my 2 les pauls the only difference is my acoustic is already set up and im didnt want to set up my amp right then.

i was talking more about where to begin content wise. should i dive right back into my scales and chords or should i ease into it with some light songs or riffs, to get my callouses and finger strenght back up to snuff.

i really hate those grip master things i have two, if your pinky is weaker then your other fingers it dosent work too good for it. i have found a soft foam ball with finger loops comming out it i think its called doctor string or some thing look at musician.com they might have it.

im takeing xanax right now and i have noticed some odd feelings in my finger tips and a slight buzz under my frets but i thought that was just inaction. ill have to wait and see how things go.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.