Ibanez Necks?

Ed91
Ed91
07/09/2008 10:22 pm
Back in 2005 I was on tour with my old band, using my favourite guitar. I treated that thing horribly. Tough love, I guess.

It was an Ibanez RG, and I'd glued and re-sanded the neck at least three times (which means I've sanded off the model number) before the final night of the tour, when alcohol made me think it would be a good idea to jump on it.

Anyway, the neck was beyond repair, and I was told it would be cheaper to get a new guitar.

Skip forward three years, and I want to fix it, but I have no idea what kind of neck it used, or where I can get one. I guess I want to know if it would matter if I put on a Wizard, a Wizard II etc, and where I could get my hands on one.

All/any help is appreciated, as I've never really been knowledgeable in this area.

.. If you want to see it ..

Thanks, Ed
# 1
Silimtao
Silimtao
07/10/2008 2:32 pm
There's absolutely no identifying numbers or anything to identify the model? Maybe if you wrote Ibanez they could help you out on that front. Otherwise, maybe you could go to an experienced guitar tech, and the tech could help you identify the proper neck. If you find the proper neck, I'd check ebay. i've bought lots of guitar gear from them without a problem. Oh, maybe the different wizard necks are pretty much interchangeable, so maybe if you ask Ibanez "will any wizard neck fit any RG model guitar" you may get lucky if they say "any one of 'em". Sucks. I broke the neck on my very first electric guitar I ever owned. Not worth repairing, but I still have it. Good luck.

Search for an 800 number, you may actually get to speak to a person. Only time I contacted a guitar maker was when I needed to call Brian Moore, so I googled them, got the #, and they were able to help me ou

PS: bring the neck to a tech, and maybe the neck can be properly identified, or take a good, high resolution picture of the neck and body, and maybe Ibanez can be able to better identify the model.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 2
equator
equator
07/10/2008 6:03 pm
Hey Ed, what is the number on the headstock? Is it RG-170?

If it is 170 you can buy this guitar from ebay and use the neck of it to place it on your guitar.
Who knows, you may even like that guitar better than the one you are trying to fix.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Ibanez-RG-170-Electric-Guitar-Midnight-Gloss-Black_W0QQitemZ110267532130QQihZ001QQcategoryZ33043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I know that other RG have a rosewood fretboard with “U” shaped neck. But those have sharktooth inlays and yours have dots.
That is why I think yours is a RG-170 or a similar model.

Anyway, good luck to you, man.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 3
marliga
marliga
07/11/2008 6:36 am
i have that same Ibanez at my house and ironically it has no cereal number ether. but i do know that those modals have wizard 2 necks they are very fast and versatile.
# 4
Ed91
Ed91
07/21/2008 5:04 pm
Hey guys, sorry I've taken so long to thank you all for your input. I ended up getting a nice Wizard 2 neck off ebay, which fitted nicely. In the time it took to arrive I decided I didn't want the floyd rose bridge anymore, and converted it back to a solid bridge. I'm pretty happy with the results, because I had no idea what I was doing. lol

It plays well, and the intonation is good, but the bridge is slightly offset (yes, that's what I get for guessing). I'm not too worried about that though, I'm in love with it :D
# 5
Silimtao
Silimtao
07/21/2008 5:16 pm
Sweet, Ed! I hate Floyds myself, but the only Ibanez I found playable is a low end RG....think it's a 320. Good going.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.