My Music (Tell me what you think)

leaf
leaf
07/03/2008 12:51 am
Click on the "myspace" link to go to my page. I would love to hear what you think. :D myspace

PS: the song "Text Me Back" is really soft and you will need to turn it up a bit.
Eat, sleep, and play guitar! :D
Click here to hear my music :)
# 1
leaf
leaf
07/04/2008 11:55 pm
Come on you guys. What do you think about it. :)
# 2
Danley
Danley
07/06/2008 1:43 am
Stuart,

I listened to four of your tunes. Now, in asking what I think, I would have to ask, "What are you going for?" The songs have pleasant chord progressions, and the melodies seem to fit, but I get hung up on the "story" within your songs. It is not really clear what you are trying to say. YOu really lost me on the Monkey song.

I could offer some advise about writing songs about Wisconsin, because I lived there for 48 years. Write about the sunrise, and the cornfields, or the rivers, Lake Michigan or Kettle Moraine, but don't ever try to fit the word "Wisconsin" into the song. (LOL). I only know of two songs that successfully used the state name in a song. They were, "The Edmund Fitzgerald" and "On Wisconsin".

What do you use to record? What type of guitar are you playing?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Danley[/FONT]
# 3
leaf
leaf
07/06/2008 3:10 am
Haha, well,.... the monkey in monkey & me throws everyone off. Its not really about a monkey. A kinda was used it as a substitute for a girl that treated me like a monkey. the song really means a lot to me even though people never get it. Wisconsin is not the real version of the song I use now, but I really like that recording so I kept it. The version I use now is called "A song for You" and the story in it is really clear. Sorry that you didn't really understand them but thanks for listening and the advice. :D

I used a H2 handy recored and I used a Olimpia acoustic for "Monkey and Me" and a Herbit (Noooo, I don't know how to spell it) electric acoustic for the other three.
# 4
Drew77
Drew77
07/10/2008 8:39 pm
I liked it. The text song is kinda strange as far as lyrics go. Sort of a sort of a weird subject matter (or a weird metaphor to use) and I couldn't help feeling like it was a cell phone commercial (despite it obviously not being one). But thats me. If you don't get that vibe then no worries. Weird isn't bad of course, generally the weirder the better but it was the whole cell phone aspect of it that threw me I guess. Maybe I'm to old (I'm not that old but maybe I'm just not with it) to feel comfortable with songs about texting.

I liked the monkey song, in all your songs you have some slightly awkward lyrical stuff but nothing terrible. Your vocals just seem to break cadence every once in a while. That would be something to work on.

I like the acoustic work a lot. Good job on that. The song writing is pretty solid as far as music goes. I really like the vocal work in the Text song, just the lyrics threw me but who cares. I listened to it again a few times and now I am pretty used to it. I'd say work a bit on the vocals for the monkey song just getting them to fit a bit better into the music. there are specific spots:

"I am not as far away as you believe" try to rephrase this or sing it in a way that fits better. You could try slurring syllables in "believe" because thats whats making it awkward.

I think that might be the only really big thing. I would say for the vocals in monkey maybe try singing them with more "conviction" they kinda lack some life that the vocals in your other songs had. Just a thought.

Anyway. I liked it. I thought your lyrics were good and not confusing, but I don't demand linear stories or coherent thoughts from lyrics. As long as they mean something to you and I can make up my own meaning then I'm fine.

Keep going man. Your doing well. Just keep getting better.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.