View post (My Music (Tell me what you think))

View thread

Drew77
Drew77
07/10/2008 8:39 pm
I liked it. The text song is kinda strange as far as lyrics go. Sort of a sort of a weird subject matter (or a weird metaphor to use) and I couldn't help feeling like it was a cell phone commercial (despite it obviously not being one). But thats me. If you don't get that vibe then no worries. Weird isn't bad of course, generally the weirder the better but it was the whole cell phone aspect of it that threw me I guess. Maybe I'm to old (I'm not that old but maybe I'm just not with it) to feel comfortable with songs about texting.

I liked the monkey song, in all your songs you have some slightly awkward lyrical stuff but nothing terrible. Your vocals just seem to break cadence every once in a while. That would be something to work on.

I like the acoustic work a lot. Good job on that. The song writing is pretty solid as far as music goes. I really like the vocal work in the Text song, just the lyrics threw me but who cares. I listened to it again a few times and now I am pretty used to it. I'd say work a bit on the vocals for the monkey song just getting them to fit a bit better into the music. there are specific spots:

"I am not as far away as you believe" try to rephrase this or sing it in a way that fits better. You could try slurring syllables in "believe" because thats whats making it awkward.

I think that might be the only really big thing. I would say for the vocals in monkey maybe try singing them with more "conviction" they kinda lack some life that the vocals in your other songs had. Just a thought.

Anyway. I liked it. I thought your lyrics were good and not confusing, but I don't demand linear stories or coherent thoughts from lyrics. As long as they mean something to you and I can make up my own meaning then I'm fine.

Keep going man. Your doing well. Just keep getting better.