recognizing chord changes in Backing tracks

ics1974
ics1974
07/01/2008 2:55 pm
I am trying to play along to some Backing tracks but have a hard time recognizing what the new chord change is. Any tips how to identify what the new chord is? The BT’s I use usually have a drum beat, bass and piano with no guitar.
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/02/2008 2:56 am
Originally Posted by: ics1974I am trying to play along to some Backing tracks but have a hard time recognizing what the new chord change is. Any tips how to identify what the new chord is? The BT’s I use usually have a drum beat, bass and piano with no guitar.

Start by listening to ONE chord, stop the music. Find a note on you guitar that matches that ONE chord. Listen to the bass notes, or lowest tone first. Once you find that first bass note, assume it is the root note of the chord. Play a major chord, yes? If not, minor, yes? If neither seem to work, then assume the bass note is the major or minor third of the chord (an inverison). If that doesn't work, then it might be the fifth of the chord.

So if the note you first hear and identify is a C then it is either:

Root of C major
Root of C minor
Major 3rd of A-flat major
Minor 3rd of A minor
5th of F major or F minor

Move to the next bass note in the song and do the same. If the bass line is linear instead of leaping from chord tone to chord tone, it might at least give you a clue as to what scale it is using.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
ics1974
ics1974
07/02/2008 4:21 pm
Thanks for the reply Christopher. Tested this today and it is allot harder then I thought.
# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/03/2008 1:38 pm
Welcome, of course.

Yes, it is hard at first. And then it's hard later on, too! It is a skill that must be learned and practiced systematically if one wants to be able to do it.

Put it in your regular list of things to work on. Do it a little bit ever day or at least week. Best of success with it.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.