emphasizing chord tones for Rock, Metal and Blues.

ics1974
ics1974
06/27/2008 2:27 pm
This kind of goes along with my other thread.
In Christopher’s lessons he shows how to emphasize chord tones in a scale like the pentatonic.
Is this the rule for all genres or can you just use the proper scale but not worry about emphasizing the chord changes.
I currently am only interested in Rock, Metal and Blues but wonder if there was an exception.

Do players like Page, Clapton and Kirk Hammet emphasize chord tones when they use the Pentatonic scale for there solos or do they freely use the scale?
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/27/2008 3:22 pm
Originally Posted by: ics1974
Is this the rule for all genres or can you just use the proper scale but not worry about emphasizing the chord changes.
[/quote]
It applies to playing with taste in any genre with any scale.
[QUOTE=ics1974]
Do players like Page, Clapton and Kirk Hammet emphasize chord tones when they use the Pentatonic scale for there solos or do they freely use the scale?

Sometimes they do, sometimes not. But here's the thing: I would say, when they do, it sounds better integrated with the chords and music overall. When they don't, it sounds bad.

So you can play whatever you want, of course. But ultimately this is why some players (songs, solos, licks, parts, etc.) sound better than others: how well they put together all the pieces; how well they integrate all the musical elements of what they are doing.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
ics1974
ics1974
06/27/2008 5:11 pm
Thanks Chris.
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.