What ever happened to the guitar solo???

chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
12/03/2001 4:53 pm
DEREK TRUCKS is the son of one of the original Allman Bros. members. He also has his own record label and signs a lot of the jam bands. When not touring with his own band he tours with the allmans.
check out Indigenous, this guy (Mato) really rocks
http://www.indigenousrocks.com

[Edited by chris mood on 12-03-2001 at 11:55 AM]
# 1
lynng
lynng
12/03/2001 8:13 pm
I've been hanging back waiting for this to be said:

"MTV has shoved dance music down the throats of the hungry consumer. People want the same four count heavy bass drum beat in everything they listen to."

Give it a time and it'll swing back around (if we live long enough)
Lynn G
"Just another Texas Guitar
Slinger"
# 2
lynchnbones3
lynchnbones3
12/06/2001 8:20 pm
George Lynch......theres one i didnt here about....Hes coming back with Jeff Pilson...i guess there going to start a trio thing that will be SO KICK ASS to here them again....yes iam 80`s , grew up Dokken,Lynch Mob......

LynchnBones3
# 3
jonfrinkle
jonfrinkle
12/10/2001 5:50 pm
I know this has probably already been said, but the amount of music you get out is only what you put in. I know a lot of people expect to pick up the guitar and be able to play anything they want. For me it has to do with what i listen to. If i listen to a lot of inspirational music then that starts to expand my mind a little bit. That's one of the many reasons why i hate some of the stuff that's out there today. It's a three minute song with four power chords and a bunch of effects from a processor. It also has to do with the fact that some kids just don't want to take the time to better themselves at there intrument. Sure they might know every chord ever writen but they can't play a solo to save there life.
# 4
ibanezmp
ibanezmp
12/12/2001 6:13 pm
In my opinion Solos are the basis of a really good song. I am out to bring solos back. I am 14 and have a lot of talent and am useing it to put solos back on track.
Take... Well Crazy Train for example. You don't see people doing that kind of thing today!I love solos.Myself and my freind frank have learned that guitar solos are our life.And life wouldn't be the same without them.
Steve Vai is God
# 5
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
pstring
Big as Elvis, Baby
12/13/2001 4:03 pm
What killed the solo? Too many bands with shallow songwriting, combined with too many guitarists who thought they were the next EVH, and played too many notes, showing off the latest technique, until you couldn't tell one band from another. If you want to revive the solo, write good songs, and make you solo part of the song, not the other way around, every solo shouldn't be an excuse to play as fast as you can, a chainsaw is fine for cutting wood but people really don't want to hear a chainsaw everytime the guitarist takes a solo.
# 6
snimbkar
snimbkar
12/13/2001 5:19 pm
My opinion on what "killed" the solo? The "anti-playing" backlash, created by Nirvana, and grunge. These guys were either incapable of playing anything challenging, or simply did not put in the effort. As a result, Nirvana got extremely lucky, let's face it, Their songs are sh*t, but their timing was good. I love the fact that "artists" who write three chord songs with lyrics about depression are considered to be profound, intuitive, visionary...Give me a break. So the music "band wagon" jumped to the 'anti-playing' trend, and is slowly coming around thanks to bands like Godsmack, even Sevendust. And as far as Cobain being a visionary? , the best thing he did was pull the trigger.

# 7
snimbkar
snimbkar
12/13/2001 8:13 pm
Originally posted by ibanezmp
In my opinion Solos are the basis of a really good song. I am out to bring solos back. I am 14 and have a lot of talent and am useing it to put solos back on track.
Take... Well Crazy Train for example. You don't see people doing that kind of thing today!I love solos.Myself and my freind frank have learned that guitar solos are our life.And life wouldn't be the same without them.

Good post dude. A perfect example of what a solo can do for a song is Michael Jackson's "Beat It" . The song is pretty mundane but when Eddy kicks in, The song just comes alive and goes to another level.

# 8
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
12/14/2001 6:47 pm
Did you ever notice that in just about every Van Halen song the solo section is different then the rest of the song? He hardly ever solos over the verse or chorus format but instead creates a seperate section for the guitar solo. It makes for a more interesting composition.
# 9
snimbkar
snimbkar
12/14/2001 7:21 pm
Originally posted by chris mood
Did you ever notice that in just about every Van Halen song the solo section is different then the rest of the song? He hardly ever solos over the verse or chorus format but instead creates a seperate section for the guitar solo. It makes for a more interesting composition.

Chris That is an EXCELLENT Point. You hit upon an important issue. The beauty of the solo is that it should tell a "story within a Story". And That doesn't happen when the solo is "genericized" (i.e. soloing over the same chord progression as the verse or chorus). In my original compositions, I always solo in a different Key/mode than the rest of the song. A trick I heard from Satch,Eddie,Vai. It's almost like artists today are Afraid to change keys at all because they'll lose the listener, the "fast-food", flash-card, 0 attention span listeners that our culture is mass producing.

# 10
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
12/14/2001 7:50 pm
well, I hear solos all the time in jazz!!
If you look for them on the TV and radio, switch to internet radios, actually, there's cool rock bands in europe
http://www.freakkitchen.com there's a whole album with scary solos on it...
# 11
StratsGalore
StratsGalore
12/14/2001 10:04 pm
I guess it depends on what type of music we're talking about. Solos are fading in the world of commercial alternative modern rock, but they're still alive and well in jazz and fusion. Scott Henderson is living proof of that. Vital Tech Tones feature solos on just about every cut. Of course with no vocals, there's tons of space for blowing. I agree with the Gibson ad that says, "lyrics: wasted time between solos". Matter of fact, I'm gonna put that as my signature!
Lyrics: wasted time between solos.
# 12
snimbkar
snimbkar
12/17/2001 1:49 pm
Originally posted by StratsGalore
I guess it depends on what type of music we're talking about. Solos are fading in the world of commercial alternative modern rock, but they're still alive and well in jazz and fusion. Scott Henderson is living proof of that. Vital Tech Tones feature solos on just about every cut. Of course with no vocals, there's tons of space for blowing. I agree with the Gibson ad that says, "lyrics: wasted time between solos". Matter of fact, I'm gonna put that as my signature!

Two guys that I feel are VERY underrated in their soloing abilities are David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler (sp?). You know you have played a great solo when the listener can "hum" it by itself, and their solos are so musical

# 13
snimbkar
snimbkar
12/17/2001 7:20 pm
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
well, I hear solos all the time in jazz!!
If you look for them on the TV and radio, switch to internet radios, actually, there's cool rock bands in europe
http://www.freakkitchen.com there's a whole album with scary solos on it...

Europe is WAY AHEAD of things in some respects than the U.S. The concept of "loyalty" exists in Europe.Many bands that are 'yesterdays news' in the U.S. are still popular in Europe, particularly the Metal Bands, Iron Maiden, Dio, Judas Priest,etc... In Sweden Jazz in HUGE from what I understand. It's one aspect of the U.S. that dissapointments me. We live in such a Short-Term society in terms of music, and many other things.
# 14
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
12/17/2001 9:32 pm
hmmm... There's a little more "loyalty" over here (not much more though)...
Still I'm unconvinced of the whole solo thing... Bands who solo too much burned out the trend (I'm talking about the mainstream), The "anti-playing" trend burned it self out... both were SWEEEET at their peak, but there is only so much you can take before it starts to sounds repeatative...
Anyway, that's my humble oppinion.. (anyway, what about the other more intresting syle of playing in the 80's, yeah, I'm talking about "blondie", "Talking heads" and the slightly depressing yet fasinating "Joy Division"?... New wave?... I love that.. that a prime example of an era with geat song writing combined with great melodies, but even then there was the crap... By the way what ever happened to the "specials"?)
# 15
snimbkar
snimbkar
12/18/2001 1:16 pm
Originally posted by educatedfilm

Anyway, that's my humble oppinion.. (anyway, what about the other more intresting syle of playing in the 80's, yeah, I'm talking about "blondie", "Talking heads" and the slightly depressing yet fasinating "Joy Division"?... New wave?... I love that.. that a prime example of an era with geat song writing combined with great melodies, but even then there was the crap... By the way what ever happened to the "specials"?)

There were a lot of GREAT bands from the 80s that never got the accolades and respect they deserved, The two that jump out to me are Living Color and Kings X. Bands that were way ahead of their time. Also , bands like the Fixx, Eurythmics, Big Country. It's too bad really, some great , great stuff.

Living color is playing a reunion tour currently. They just played in my town. Of course I didn't hear about it until the next day...Arghh!!!

# 16
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
12/18/2001 7:01 pm
i dont think that europe is more open to "clasic" rock stuff than the usa
good example for it are KWS and Jonny lang. I searched for records of those two guys in every possible shop in israel, and my dad searched for them in europe (prague and germany)
and we werent able to find them
luckily by the end i found jonny lang's album in some shop here around, but the point is, that even SRV was a major star in the usa, while almost unknown in europe

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 17
snimbkar
snimbkar
12/18/2001 7:42 pm
Originally posted by Zeppelin
i dont think that europe is more open to "clasic" rock stuff than the usa
good example for it are KWS and Jonny lang. I searched for records of those two guys in every possible shop in israel, and my dad searched for them in europe (prague and germany)
and we werent able to find them
luckily by the end i found jonny lang's album in some shop here around, but the point is, that even SRV was a major star in the usa, while almost unknown in europe

Yes I was generalizing , but then again bands like Iron Maiden, Dio, Judas Priest, Scorpions, MSG, Still play the Donnington Festival, and damn near sell it out. All these bands play the club circuit (for the most part) in the USA while 12 years ago everyone (except MSG) was playing Arenas.
Then There are guys like Yngwie, Who lives in a mansion in Miami, and has a garage full of Ferraris. Which he certainly did not buy from any 'American' royalties.
# 18
Barreta_jetstream1
Barreta_jetstream1
12/22/2001 3:41 pm
Not since the late 80's or early 90's has there been a decent complex guitar solo in a popular song.

this isn't true but the problem is that the solo is nolonger mainstream. the few guitar bands that are mainstream make it very hard for solo-players to make it. as many have said, the solo isn't dead, it is just hiding from ridicule. personaly i can't wait for the solo to reture to the world, as proud and powerfull as it always was, but i think we cound be in for a long wait

Tandem Felix
# 19
snimbkar
snimbkar
12/24/2001 1:58 pm
Originally posted by Barreta_jetstream1
Not since the late 80's or early 90's has there been a decent complex guitar solo in a popular song.

this isn't true but the problem is that the solo is nolonger mainstream. the few guitar bands that are mainstream make it very hard for solo-players to make it. as many have said, the solo isn't dead, it is just hiding from ridicule. personaly i can't wait for the solo to reture to the world, as proud and powerfull as it always was, but i think we cound be in for a long wait

Let's face it, In "Rock" music today, The Guitar Solo has been replaced by the turntable. Sad Indeed!

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.