View post (Peavey ValveKing 212)

View thread

ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
06/23/2008 1:00 pm
I've played through it just briefly at a couple local guitar stores & I love the thing. In fact, if I had any need at all for a larger amp (Bands/Gigs/Etc.), that would most likely be the route I would be going. For your basic Rock/Metal type tones (from the little I've heard) I think it sound great, very focused & punchy & not harsh like many others in it's price category. Mind you, I never got a chance to crank it wide open at all....it was all moderately low volume testing. But, if you are mainly playing in your house/room, you're volume will typically be in that lower region anyway.

Speaking of which, if you are mainly playing just at home and/or small gigs...heck even if you are playing larger gigs (bars/shows/etc)...many times a good 1 12" combo amp (35-65watt range) is plenty. You can always grab another 1 12" cab for a little added ooomph if you think you need it.
Too many players (new & old) tend to think that you NEED a 100watt map or bigger, 2x12s, 4x12s, full stacks..etc....and then spend 95% of their time playing with the volume on 1.5 or so. ;)
IF the vast majority of your time spent playing, will be home based or similar...you might want to start by at least testing out the 1x12 combo version first and compare them if you can. You might save your self a few bucks & be able to spend that on a cool delay effect or something. :D