Peavey ValveKing 212

Sasuke199
Sasuke199
06/20/2008 10:11 pm
I have been looking at Peavey's ValveKing 212 for a while now. It seems great, and really versatile. Although I am a tad uneasy about the "too good to be true" price tag on it. It sounds amazing on Youtube, but I need to test it, or get a good opinion on how it will sound at low, and high volumes. I might do small gigs with it, but mostly house playing. If anyone owns this amp, please give me some feedback. Also, if possible, I need a comparison between Fender style guitars and Gibson styles on this amp.

Thanks.
# 1
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
06/23/2008 1:00 pm
I've played through it just briefly at a couple local guitar stores & I love the thing. In fact, if I had any need at all for a larger amp (Bands/Gigs/Etc.), that would most likely be the route I would be going. For your basic Rock/Metal type tones (from the little I've heard) I think it sound great, very focused & punchy & not harsh like many others in it's price category. Mind you, I never got a chance to crank it wide open at all....it was all moderately low volume testing. But, if you are mainly playing in your house/room, you're volume will typically be in that lower region anyway.

Speaking of which, if you are mainly playing just at home and/or small gigs...heck even if you are playing larger gigs (bars/shows/etc)...many times a good 1 12" combo amp (35-65watt range) is plenty. You can always grab another 1 12" cab for a little added ooomph if you think you need it.
Too many players (new & old) tend to think that you NEED a 100watt map or bigger, 2x12s, 4x12s, full stacks..etc....and then spend 95% of their time playing with the volume on 1.5 or so. ;)
IF the vast majority of your time spent playing, will be home based or similar...you might want to start by at least testing out the 1x12 combo version first and compare them if you can. You might save your self a few bucks & be able to spend that on a cool delay effect or something. :D
# 2
Sasuke199
Sasuke199
06/25/2008 8:03 pm
I have read people's reviews of the 112 and 212 models, and alot of people seem to think that the 212 is the way to go regardless of your wattage needs. They say that the 112 sounds harsh, and the tone is not as good. I suppose I just need to test them myself. Thanks for your input.
# 3
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
ChipShank
Instructor - Knucklehead
06/25/2008 11:46 pm
I don't doubt at all that there is some difference in overall sound, smaller cab does in fact usually equal somewhat "smaller" sound. A 1x12 combo is never going to sound exactly like a full stack, now matter how good the combo is...and so yeah, to a lesser degree the 1x12 will never sound quite as full as the 2x12. But I do believe that all the actually components of the amp are the same, except of course for the power rating.
With regards to what I was saying about the wattage of the amp, is that so many times people want a "tube" amp and want a bazillion watts...LOL...But then end up playing with it set at about 2 most of the time. In that situation, having a "tube" amp is kind of pointless, since the tubes aren't really being pushed. Cranking a tube amp is where the "tubeness" of it really kicks in. That's partially why you're seeing so many really low watt, but high end/priced combo amps these days. Home recording is more popular than ever, and people want to be able to crank up a good tube amp when recording. But if that puppy is 100 watts, you're only cranking for a couple min, before the police show up. LOL Unless you've got an isolation room or something...but who has that? :D But...if it's a 5w/10w/15w/25w or so, then it's do able...usually.

Anyway...now that I've typed an entire novel again...It does just come down to the best blend of what sounds good to YOU and what you can afford. And definitely try out as much as you can before buying, if at all possible.

Best of luck,
Don
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.