View post (weight set?)

View thread

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/09/2008 6:46 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoHave any municipal gyms in your area? They're often very cheap...anywhere from $25-$100 for a year. You may not have the convenience of working out in your own home, but it may be a cheap alternative (and you may have some left over cash for the camera.)

I don't like ankle weights, as they can stress your knee joints. I know it's not cool to bash another art, but of all martial arts, I probably dislike TKD the most. I've seen too many groin injuries from the intensive stretching; not good for a runner, I'm sure you know. I've been involved in martial arts for over 30 years; not that TKD has no value, I just think there's more effective arts out there (and possibly cheaper for the dues.)

You sure you want to lift heavy? The extra bulk can actually slow you down. Good luck.

There are plenty of groin injuries from overly agressive stretching to be sure but I have seen the very same in football, track and baseball. To each his own about what arts are more effective. It's solely up to individual. I have fought in tournaments against folks from a variety of arts. Each has its strength and weakness. I only advised TKD as it has been my art for ten years and the increased leg strength I developed has helped me run and complete 4 full marathons.

Each person needs to find what works for them. I am a short, somewhat muscular person. TKD because of it's use of the high kicking helps me when I go up against someone taller who has a natural reach advantage. But again, that's me. To each his own.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]