Guitars

stocz2
stocz2
05/21/2008 12:16 am
This is more of a curious question

I have read somewhere it is good to have at least 2 guitars, for some unexpected surprises. Like i just had to take my guitar to get a set up done. So right now i don't have a guitar to practice on. Because Guitar Center had said nothing was wrong. I had just signed up for lessons, a few people told me it was a good place to go. The instructor is the 1 who said i needed a set up. So i did trust his judgement. So i left it there for one. They are not charging me full price for the first 6 lessons. And no charge on the set up.
This set up has delayed my first lesson.

I have bought a IbanezGAX70 electric guitar. So how would i go to find out if this is a entry level guitar or not? And if i was to consider to purchase another guitar, how would i know what to get next, for a upgrade to the IbanezGAX70 guitar?

Thanks,
Cliff
# 1
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/21/2008 5:27 am
Yes, the guitar you have is an entry level guitar. When getting another guitar, most people get something better than what they have currently. Right now isn't the best time to think about a new guitar, play for a little while untill you bet better and you start craving higher quality. I played for a year and a half before I got a new guitar, some people wait longer, some shorter.

Bottom line, you'll know when the time comes to look at new guitars. Though, it is good to have an electric and acoustic.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/21/2008 6:37 am
That's good advice, I would forget about an upgrade untill you are able to play pretty well - at that stage you will know exactly what you want in a new guitar and you will know what feels like a nice axe when you play it. IF you start out with Ibanez you'll probably stay with them and end up like Ren and me witha house full of Jem's, Universe's and Prestige's! :)
# 3
ren
ren
05/21/2008 8:33 am
Amen Brother... ;)

When you've been playing a while, you'll find it's better to have as many guitars as you can afford/store/get past the missus etc.... I bought a Sabre last month, and when my GF asked why I had got another one I simply replied... 'because I haven't got a red one'.... he he

I'm sure you'll enjoy the hunt, whatever you go for eventually....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
Quicksliver
Quicksliver
05/21/2008 8:45 pm
Agreed. I merely started with a 120 dollar acoustic. I didn't get an electric for another year or so. Quite a change...

Anyway, it's probably better to start small. You don't really need a 100-watt Marshall half-stack with a custom 1200 dollar Les Paul to play "Mary Had a Little Lamb" or a simple 145 progression.
# 5
stocz2
stocz2
05/21/2008 9:30 pm
Thanks for the replys everyone. Will hold off for awhile, about thinking about a new guitar.

Sorta bored now without my guitar. It's still getting worked on. Was suppose to pick it today. But not ready yet.

Thanks again.
Cliff
# 6
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
HDJ
Explanation: Southerner
05/21/2008 9:31 pm
Where can I get a LP custom for $1,200? I paid more than that for my LP Classic.
Check out my band:
Havoc Din
# 7
sandollars
Eternal Student
sandollars
Eternal Student
05/21/2008 9:39 pm
I disagree.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with starting out with the best guitar one can afford. In fact, I would recommend that statement to anyone going out to buy a guitar PROVIDED they knew they were serious about playing.

Think about it: A higher end guitar has higher resale value for when one gets afflicted with GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) and just HAS to have that special guitar they just saw....

If you go out and buy a $200.00 starter guitar, that's all you will have and other than the nostalgia that surrounds it as your "First", there really is no value.

Heck, my first classical I ever bought was a Ramirez 1a.....

My first steel string was a Martin D-35.....

The way I see it, and anyone else would see it is that both those guitars are "money in the bank" should I ever need it or want to trade them out for something else. JMHO

NOTE:

This philosophy might not apply to those "new fangled eeeelectric doodad geeetars". I just know acoustics. :)
'01 Ramirez 1a
07 Martin D-35
'62 DiGiorgio Grande Sonoridad Brazillian Rosewood
90's Strat
90's Jazz Bass
# 8
ren
ren
05/21/2008 9:52 pm
You're not wrong. I rationalise my continually growing guitar collection as an investment - and they do hold their value more or less... some are heading up... but then I only ever sold one and regretted that. I definitely have an Ibanez problem...

If you can afford to have your first guitar be a quality instrument, all power to you. I was 8 and a $50 plywood classical was my first guitar... but it was exciting for me to climb the gear ladder.

And that $50 classical has to be worth at least $51 by now... ;)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 9
sandollars
Eternal Student
sandollars
Eternal Student
05/21/2008 9:54 pm
Originally Posted by: renYou're not wrong. I rationalise my continually growing guitar collection as an investment - and they do hold their value more or less... some are heading up... but then I only ever sold one and regretted that. I definitely have an Ibanez problem...

If you can afford to have your first guitar be a quality instrument, all power to you. I was 8 and a $50 plywood classical was my first guitar... but it was exciting for me to climb the gear ladder.

And that $50 classical has to be worth at least $51 by now... ;)

LOL! :eek:
'01 Ramirez 1a
07 Martin D-35
90's Strat
90's Jazz Bass
# 10
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
05/21/2008 10:16 pm
i think most of the time we tell people to buy cheap first because thats what we were told. i dont think its a really good idea to go and spend $500 or $1000 on a guitar and then find out hey i really dont like to play. then your out $1000 and that all you got. unless youre rich enough to throw around that kind of money.

and ren dont feel bad.

i have sold 2 guitars in my life. one was a jackson dinky reverse (it actually showed back up in a local shop too) and the other was a washburn acoustic. i think most of us do know how you feel.

as for the original point of the post. i would buy something like an acoustic. steel string or classical it really doesnt matter. but haveing a guitar you dont need to plup, and that you can take all over is a great thing especially for beginners.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 11
sandollars
Eternal Student
sandollars
Eternal Student
05/22/2008 11:40 am
I guess I should qualify my statement above:

The first 2 guitars I ever BOUGHT are listed above. I was loaned plenty and was even given one, so I guess you could say I learned (still learning, ALWAYS learning :D ) on a cheaper guitar.... It was free! :)
'01 Ramirez 1a
07 Martin D-35
90's Strat
90's Jazz Bass
# 12
DrusMuzik
DrusMuzik
05/23/2008 1:57 am
I think I gotta agree with sandollar even though I own mostly those new-fangled eelectric geetars.
I feel like I wasted alot of time getting pissed off at the poor sound of sub-standard guitars in the beginning, so much so that it kept me from playing sometimes. It's tough keeping junky fiddles in tune and it can wreck the experience for a beginner.
I don't think you're were wrong to start with a GAX...Ibanez guitars are pretty decent (I own a few too). For me, buying a guitar that can stay in tune while you play it (and even when you abuse it a little through extreme trem use) is paramount. If it doesn't sound good, you won't hear yourself as sounding good and it can bring you down. No matter what you buy, make sure you put it through its paces to see if it can stay sounding good after playing it for a bit. You should spend your time playing or practicing, not tuning.
# 13
sandollars
Eternal Student
sandollars
Eternal Student
05/23/2008 3:47 am
Additional food for thought:

If you make a substantial investment ( and this term is used relatively) in your instrument, you will be substantially motivated to learn how to play it proficiently.... :D

You know; motivation by investment... :cool:
'01 Ramirez 1a
07 Martin D-35
90's Strat
90's Jazz Bass
# 14
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/02/2008 1:06 am
I'm of the opinion of buy cheap until you know you're addicted. My first guitar was a super cheapo deluxe with the action about an inch and a half off the fretboard. That didn't stop me from playing. I have GAS now- 3 Strats, 1 Telly, 1 Brian Moore, 1 Jackson Dinky, 1 Ibanez RG, a Yamaha acoustic, an Ovation...and probably a couple more I can't remember. then there's an acoustic I bought for my daughter until she decided she didn't want to be a rock star, and I have to bribe my son to practice the Epi SG Deluxe I got him. I've seen the value of some of my guitars go up....but....I CAN'T SELL 'EM! Even the ones I never play. It would be like selling one of my kids!

But it's definitely good to have at least 2 guitars. If one gets broken or in the shop, at least you have a backup. Cheap or expensive is debatable.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.