why are my strings going out of tune??help

Shreddy Kruger
Shreddy Kruger
11/20/2001 10:48 pm
Hello,
I recently put on a new pair of strings (about a week ago) and now when i do a bend on the g string, it goes all out of whack. Other strings are probably doing this, but i can't tell as much as the G. I have never noticed it doing this before an i've had this guitar for maybe 6 years. Is there anything i can tighten/loosen on the head to get it to keep in tune? thanks..

chris

# 1
guitargod420
guitargod420
11/21/2001 2:05 am
its probably the strings itself , did you use a different gauge of strings than usual?? i have the same problem though but once your strings get used more and more the problem tends to stop for me, i kinda hate the way new strings sound i dont know why but i do , but anyways if you did use a different string gauge I THINK your supposed to adjust the saddles on your guitar

peace
# 2
Alan Moorhouse
Alan Moorhouse
11/22/2001 1:02 am
Assuming that nothing about the setup of your guitar has changed, have you stretched the strings in? What I do with new strings is, change them one at a time - DON'T TAKE THEM ALL OFF AT ONCE! Replace each string in turn making sure you get a couple of wraps around the post, tune it up to pitch, then grab hold of the string above the 12th fret and pull it up away from the fingerboard to stretch it. It usually goes flat by a couple of semitones, so then I repeat the exercise (tune it up to pitch and stretch it) until it stops going flat. Be careful not to pull too hard and break the string!

;) Reelin' in the years...
# 3
Hootayah
Hootayah
11/22/2001 1:17 am
yeah I do the same thing cept I grab the string and pull it side to side like I was doing a really huge bend> There's also a how-to section on the main guitartrcks page that shows you the basics of re-stringing a guitar... the one thing that I find really helpful is putting a crimp or bend in the string at the post so that it grabs ... and then winding the strings evenly on the post so they don't overlap.
Even so though, I still retune my guitar on a regular basis cause just humidity or temperature changes can affect the tuning.
I've noticed that after about 1/2 hour of playing my tuning is sharp on all strings, then if I let the guitar stand they slowly go back into tune again.
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 4
Flinty
Flinty
11/22/2001 3:53 pm
Changing to a lighter guage string is a common cause of this. I have an SG that is impossible to keep in tune with anything less than a 10-46 set. Also, if you have changed gauges I'd recommend getting your setup checked out. It will have most likely reduced your neck 'relief', as well as your intonation. Any music store with a good tech on hand will check it out for about $5-$10.

If you've been using the same guage all along, I'd try replacing the G string. May be just a bum string or not installed properly. About an hour of playing should have settled the strings in. I usually do not resort to pulling on them unless I am having a problem.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.