View post (why did you start playing??)

View thread

Quicksliver
Quicksliver
05/19/2008 5:56 am
Well around 1993-95 my mom was playing this new CD she bought from the Powerzone (store on military compounds i.e. Ft. Knox/Campbell that's like Circuit City, but with no tax). I had no idea what it was, but I remember it starting kinda like "Wake up kid it's half past the youth ain't nothin' really changin' but the date! You a grand slammer but your no Babe Ruth but you gotta learn how to relate!" Then it kicked off with slammin' drums and power chords with these rockin' little rifts. It was then I learned who Joe Perry was. Shortly after that we get to that little question everyone remembers in Kindergarten that still echoes in my mind:

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"

I stood up, proudly mind you, after all the other kids said astronaut, firefighter, veterinarian, etc. and said "I will be a rockstar." Said it seriously. I meant it, and to this day I still do.

I then started listening to that CD every day and every night. My mom even got me a little tape player and ripped the CD onto cassette so I could listen to it without giving her a headache. After that it branched out into Metallica, Pearl Jam, Def Leppard, Megadeth, Rush, Guns n' effin Roses! So many! I wanted that so bad.

Then a couple of years ago my mom takes me to Kentucky and we walked into a shop called "Joe's music store" or something to that effect. There was a guy there who owned that shop and gave lessons for who knows how long. It was quite the cliche. He plucked an acoustic from the wall, threw in a stand, soft case, handful of picks, and two extra packs of Ernie Ball.

So now here I am, two years later, hair past the mid of my back, tight jeans, a sexy Ibanez, and attitude free of charge. I'm here some 15 years later with my eyes still on that lime-lit stage.

Oh yeah... I also write a lot.