Line 6 Blem GearBox Plug-In Silver-Question

Silimtao
Silimtao
05/08/2008 1:40 am
Hey all,

There's a sale at Musiciansfriend for this for about $74 (blemished). My question is about this being a "plug-in", which suggest to me that is should be used in conjunction with some other type of recording software.

The only recording software I have is some cheap, cheesy stuff that came with my Audigy SoundBlaster soundcard (which I haven't used in ages, and can't recall what it is).

So, anyone have any experience with this device/software, and can it be used stand-alone? If it does require recording software and acts only as a plug-in, would it be compatible with any recording software? I've seen Pro Tools mentioned all over the place, and I don't know what "RTAS/VST compatible" means exactly.

The Line 6 looping box isn't available anywhere right now, so I was thinking of recording my own backing tracks.

Thanks for any input.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 1
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
05/08/2008 5:24 am
There are two versions of the Gearbox software, one is the version that ships with Line6 devices like the Toneport I own and is targeted at Line6 devices, this is a stand alone app that will provide processed output to your recording software or direct to your monitors, the other is a VST plug-in intended for using within DAW hosts like Cubase, Reaper etc.

The stand alone version comes with the devices, the VST version is a purchasable extra, it sounds like that is what is for sale. But I'm not sure it will work without a Line6 hardware device, though I could be wrong.
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 2
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/09/2008 2:11 am
Hi Wriggler,

Sorry, I should have posted a link: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-?sku=706520X

So, yeah, this has the input box. From what I've read, the software wont work without it. I just may have Cubase Light Edition that came with my soundcard. You happen to know if the Line 6 software will work with any recording software? Thanks much.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 3
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
05/09/2008 5:23 am
Ah, yeah that makes more sense! Yes, the device should work in pretty well all recording software, it just appears as one of the devices in your 'inputs' selection list ( in effect, its an additional soundcard if you like ). I use it in Tracktion, others use it in Reaper etc. It will also install ASIO drivers, which will reduce latency. It's a good piece of kit for the price.

You have to run gearbox separately from your DAW though, start that fisrt then Cubase or whatever. There is a VST version that will run INSIDE the DAW, thats what I thought you meant! :rolleyes: but thats more $$$

In fact though, once you have installed the software, you don't actually have to use it. If you dont run Gearbox, the Toneport will still appear as an input device, but will give you the 'clean' signal, you can then use stuff like freeamp within your recording software for more tone options ( not everyone likes the Line6 tones ).

Hope that helps.
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 4
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/09/2008 11:36 pm
Thanks for the input. Found it very helpful. What's on sale is the Silver Edition. Gold has a lot more to offer judging from the description.

But I already have a line-in for my guitar on my pc; I think I should check out how it sounds linking my pedals, and see how a recording goes.

Thanks much!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.