View post (Deep Emotion)

View thread

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/15/2008 3:55 am
It's just life experiences from my point of view.

You should see some of my earlier songs. Majorly corny and laughable.
At the time I thought I was doing great, but now looking back I can see that I just didn't have enough of a vocabulary to draw on. Didn't have enough life experiences to draw on the emotions.

FYI:
If you can afford a couple of hundred bucks I'd highly recommend buying a program called MasterWriter specifically designed for song writers.
Besides having a well laid out method of writing songs, it also has every rhyme you'll ever need, a thesaurus, phrases, alliterations, references to pop culture, a dictionary and a notebook where you can sketch ideas.

Like all you do if you get stuck in a song is type in a word, hit a button and it gives you dozens of ideas.

Like, I just put in the word "Rain" and got back 3 pages of rhymes like, crane, drain, grain, champagne, John Wayne, ...
and rhymed phrases like:
Constant complaining
In the Time Remaining
An angel in training
etc etc..

Phrases:

A driving rain
A soft summer rain
Left out in the rain
Kissed by the rain
Burning candles in the rain...
Rain-washed dreams

From there you just double click on one's that might fit and it sticks them in a notebook for you. Then you can click on another word and continue until you find other words and phrases that either work... or give you ideas to work on.