Amps and Pedals...

Ragn4rok234
Ragn4rok234
04/28/2008 1:40 am
I'm looking into getting a whole new set of equipment because I'm starting to get out in the world and play more gigs. I'm wondering what your opinions are on some of the equipment I'm looking at.

Krank:
Revolution (or Rev+ if it is better)
Krankenstein (or Krankenstein+ if it is better)
Distortion Maximus (not sure yet if i really want this, it is the lowest on my buy list)

Maxon:
OD-9
OD-9 Pro+
OD808

MXR:
Zakk Wylde Overdrive

BOSS:
TU-2 Stompbox Tuner

EVH:
D-Tuna de-tuner

Any input on any of this equipment would be great; and by the way I play with an Ibanez 470DXQM with EMG-81, EMG-Single, and some Seymour Duncan pickup (can't remember which) at Bridge, Middle, and Neck spots respectively. Also, if you feel any of this equipment requires a noise suppressor, i already have one (a BOSS noise Suppressor pedal). Again, thanks for any input it could be very helpful and save me lots and lots of money and hassle and crappy sound (and the list goes on) ^.^
# 1
Homebrew1709
Homebrew1709
04/28/2008 2:05 am
If you're gonna be gigging, you MUST have a reliable tuner on stage. I use the Boss TU-2 and it works fine. As far as Krank gear, many people swear by them and some hate them. I believe the Rev+ is the newer version with bigger transformer and big 6550 (KT88) tubes. I just got a VHT Pitbull 50/CL and it rips! Sounds like you play heavy stuff, so I would check out brands such as ENGL, VHT, Bogner and Framus. They can be a little expensive (look on Ebay and Craigslist for deals) but generally you're paying for quality parts, etc. I have no regrets at all after dropping 2 g's on my Pitbull....
# 2
Ragn4rok234
Ragn4rok234
04/28/2008 8:39 pm
Sounds like you play heavy stuff, so I would check out brands such as ENGL, VHT, Bogner and Framus. They can be a little expensive (look on Ebay and Craigslist for deals) but generally you're paying for quality parts, etc. I have no regrets at all after dropping 2 g's on my Pitbull....

I took a look at the VHT and it seems nice. I looked into ENGL and Framus and there is no way for me to try them out (I'm still in highschool and the closest dealer for ENGL is in California and closest dealer for Framus is in another country (I'm in VA)) They seemed nice but not exactly practical purchasing ability. Either way i did look at the VHT a bunch and I like it alot, a bit pricey but I can save up; unfortunately again the closest dealer is in a different state but I'd only have to go to North Carolina. Would you say the Deliverance or the SIG:X is better (If you've tried them both out)? I'm still considering getting the Krank if just because I have the means to purchase one as a highschool student. Also to save money would I be ok keeping my Marshall MG412A cabinet and just hooking up a new head to it or would that just be too much of a sacrifice to my tone?

Still looking for any info on the other products I listed. Thanks GuitarTricks community ^.^
# 3
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
05/06/2008 2:41 pm
I would scrap the boss Tu2 in favor of a Planet waves pedal tuner. the Planet waves is about the same price (cheaper here in SA) and it has a strobe mode...I use one and i was never this in tune with my old boss tu.

A mate of mine plays a Rev, and it's an awesome amp dude, sounds like you're going for the sort of sound at which Krank excel. I wouldn't get the krank pedal if I got a krank amp.

Look into the ibanez thermion amp...I know it says Ibanez on the front, but the head cooks, I've got one and the only thing I dislike about ti is the lack of a direct out and reverb. http://www.ibanez.com/electronics/series.aspx?s=Thermion
check that link out and see what you think. the link may not work (damn university computers) so you may have to copy and paste.

The Maxon od9 is an awesome pedal...get one immediately.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 4
Ragn4rok234
Ragn4rok234
05/07/2008 12:20 pm
Thanks for the information. I have ended up buying a brand new Krank Rev, straight out of the box for a steal ($800.00!!!) ya for deal making ^.^ well anyway; I've heard many good things lately about the Maxon OD-9 so this is just more conformation that this is apparently an almost holy grail of overdrive pedals.
There are still a few things on the list that I'm unsure of (the D-Tuna for one, I don't even know if it'll work on my Ibanez 470DXQM). Also I've heard demos of the MXR Zakk Wylde online but ofcouse those could be edited to an extreme, wondering how it'll sound in person. Thanks again uitar tricks Community for the information ^.^
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.