View post (Speech Patterns)

View thread

earthman buck
earthman buck
04/22/2008 10:12 pm
Originally Posted by: Drew77There has never been any change without people varying from "the norm."

People vary thats what creates styles. It may be a conscious decision or it may just be from ignorance or a desire to make something personal.

I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but everyone is way way way too sensitive in the is forum. If someone expresses a difference in opinion it is not them criticizing you they just have a different opinion. I hate it when people get defensive and say, "oh well thats just my opinion, sorry didn't mean to offend you". I love it when people stand up for what they think, rather than the "everyones got opinions" comp out. Almost everyone who has posted in this thread so far has now apologized for maybe offending someone with what they said. Who cares goddammit, back up what you said.

We're all musicians, I don't think it is bad if we are passionate about music. And if we have different opinions about it then it is not bad if we discuss that or even argue, thats what passionate people do. I thought thats what this forum was all about. I thought thats what forums in general were all about. Arguing is an amazing learning tool, not only does it make you smarter but it gets you to actually examine your own opinions, something surprisingly few people ever do. You learn and grow through hearing other peoples point of view and if everyone can remain open minded and critical of what they're saying then there is a ton of growth that can take place.

I have gotten in some great in depth arguments about things I care about and it has always made me probe deeper into those things than I ever had before. You always come out the other side of a great argument with new knowledge and even if your opinion doesn't drastically change it has almost always shifted.

The persuasive essay is one of the best introspective learning tools in existence.

It's fine to disagree and more over if you do it is fine to argue your side. Everyone stop being sensitive and everyone stop worrying if you've offended someone.

If two people can bother argue intelligently then it is never a waste of time, even if it gets nasty as long as real points are being made then it will result in each person having a better understanding of themselves and the subject being argued.

So I guess what I am saying is that we need more ten page threads in this forum.

I disagree! Muahaha!

*duel to the death*