Yamaha DD-65 Electronic Drum Set

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2008 4:57 am
I finally decided to get one of these cause using my guitar synth or my PC 200 keyboard was getting to be a pain in the butt.

I've plugged it into the midi input and routed it through Battery and it basically allows me to use my hands to play drums.

What can I say.... I can play drums amazingly in my head but as soon as I try to translate that to my drumsticks, I go totally out of tune.
So the Quantize feature fixes the whole thing up for me and lets me just add additional rolls, kicks and cymbals to humanize the loops that I've already laid down.

Anyways...here's what it looks and sounds like:
Still gotta add the lead guitar and vocals.

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/gameisover.mp3
http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/yahaha.jpg

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
04/23/2008 8:10 pm
I've looked at a solution like this before - I can play drums a little but tend to lose everything when it comes to double bass and break beats. That and the fact that I don't actually own a drum kit makes something like this look attractive :o I'm still pretty bad on the sticks though so I was considering something like the Trigger Finger, you ever tried one? Just wondering how they would match up, I could imagine it easier to play beats with your fingers rather than sticks, but then again everything changes when you hook the gear up. Post back after a few more weeks with the hardware to let us know if it grows on you.
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/23/2008 8:31 pm
I thought about getting something smaller for fingers too but realized I needed to 'get into it' more when I was playing. With this thing I can just turn up the music and bash away with my hands. (no sticks needed).

I've been using it a couple of weeks now and it's excellent.

Almost finished the song... just need to fix up timing errors on the lead track...

http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/GameIsOver_Schmange.mp3

The good thing about it is it's laid out sort of like a real kit, so I can bash away like playing a real set without having to worry about which pad is playing which sound. Later, I just use Quantize to fix everything and go in and manually edit out hits that don't belong.
# 3
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
05/06/2008 12:00 pm
Hi Kevin,

Useful information ( and a killer song! ). I've been considering one of these as a more convenient alternative to an electronic kit, and just wondered what you felt about the quality of the pedals ( they look like the weak link to me ).

None of my local music shops have one in, so I cant look at it first hand.

Cheers for any info.

Steve.
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/06/2008 3:35 pm
They're solidly built but you definitely have to get used to them. You have to wear shoes for sure.
There's a bit of a learning curve like any instrument but once you get used to it there's no problem. Plus any slight timing difficulties and Cubase, or whatever you're using, will fix it for you.
# 5
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
05/07/2008 11:03 am
Thanks! I don't play drums at the moment anyway, so I have no technique to unlearn... :D

I'm about to order one, so it's all your fault if I don't like it! :)
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.