in Shredding your going too fast.

P:s Boy will i get input on this comment !ha ha

Mark
yours truly Mark Toman
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
11/21/2001 10:52 pm
I'd say that shredding is playing something only fellow shredders know it's very hard to play... It involves speed, but some shredders dont't rely solely on it.
# 2
paddybodenham
paddybodenham
11/22/2001 9:06 am
So I'm guessing it's just REALLY fast guitar then? Hmm. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. I'm not really into it, but that's me. I can see how it would be fun... not that I could ever do it for ****, let's be honest here.

But I reckon there's a difference Skee - There's a difference between melodic fast guitar, and simply FAST guitar. Compare the solos of Metallica: Master of Puppets, and Joe Satriani: Summer Song (the best song ever known.)Metallica I reckon is just fast, and doesnt't really fit melodically into the music. Yeah. It's designed to make you go "wow." In actuality, it makes me go "bleurgh, this is ****e."

Satriani on the other hand plays some of the fastest guitar I know, but whilst doing it, he mingles slow riffs, with INCREDIBLY fast sections. The fast sections, as opposed to Metallica, in Satriani, ALL match the music, and really give you this electric buzz when you hear them played.

You probably all know what I mean. Guitar like Satriani's will live on legendary in my life, if nobody elses!!!

Ciaou. Until we meet again.

Paddy.

-----------------------------------------------
Lyrics: Wasted time between solos.
-----------------------------------------------
# 3
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
11/22/2001 2:29 pm
I will have to say Satriani is one great guitarist!
To be a shredder involves learning alot of Techniques.
plus a study of music theory which is good for anybody
No matter what style you play!

Mark

[Edited by skee1 on 11-22-2001 at 09:33 AM]
yours truly Mark Toman
# 4
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
11/25/2001 9:35 pm
i like malmsteen a lot. i've heard many people say that he goes too fast. (yeah right). but i think he's great. listen to black star and far beyond the sun (my favorite). he's got some great melodic solos too. (Rising Force) he's a great guitarist and shredder.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 5
curt_mullins
curt_mullins
11/26/2001 4:50 am
Dude, remember one important thing: guitar playing involves two hands!! Speed comes from timing between your hands. There are tons of exercises that you can do to increase speed in both hands. The right hand picking is very important as far as playing, but what good is it if your left hand can't keep up with it? A good description of proper right hand technique (for speed) is from Paul Gilbert who said that picking fast was like scratching a dog. I own a couple of his videos and I have to agree with him. If you've never seen him play, check him out!! He's very economic in his playing.

Also, who says you have to pick every note? Satriani and Vai are like lightning and they use tons of pull offs and hammerons that are not picked. You might want to check them out as well.

But always remember, Rome wasn't built in a day. I've been at it for 12 years now. I discovered Satriani and Vai music about 9 years ago and practiced it for hours everyday until I could pop in a cd and play all the way through it. I'm not saying to go into hiding with your guitar (like I did) but give it time and you will become faster.
# 6
AuralXiter
AuralXiter
11/27/2001 4:36 am
I'm surely not the fastest but i'm no slow poke. when i'm jamming with faster guitarists i use anticipation, timing, and structure to my advantage. this makes me seem much faster than them. a guitar doodling about all by it's self is not as sexy as the right shred at the right time.

if you use more forearm then relax your shoulder- that works for me

circular picking also kicks but- i play a lot of world/flamenco music. sometimes i don't use a pick and i'm just as fast but i like to accent up picks to create polyrhythms which can create even more shredding deception.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.