a question of keys/progressions

BrokenJera
BrokenJera
04/02/2008 4:49 am
i know this is going to sound like a stupid question to all you smart guys but i cant seem to figure it out on my own.

if im am playing a I IV V (assending) progression in G Major (G D C). would i count the same way to play a desending progression? counting down instead of up?

thats all i got on this so far.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 1
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
04/02/2008 6:32 am
Well if you are playing V IV I.. then the progression is V IV I.. the I IV V progression isn't a rule, it's just a very common progression. Write it how you play it.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/02/2008 1:23 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJeraif im am playing a I IV V (assending) progression in G Major (G D C). would i count the same way to play a desending progression? counting down instead of up?

If you play these chords:

G (I) - C (IV) - D (V)

Or if you play these chords:

D (V) - C (IV) - G (I)

Or if you play these chords:

C (IV) - D (V) - G (I)

Make sense? For a list of all 12 keys look here:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=406

And look at this for the theory on chord progressions:
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=495
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
04/02/2008 4:37 pm
actually my question was if i still wanted to play the I IV V progression but instead of playing the notes so the sound high pitch playing the notes so they sound lower in pitch would i still count I IV V (G D C instead of G C D).

i guess ill learn the answer sooner or later. thanks for the lesson recomendations.
# 4
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/02/2008 8:12 pm
Originally Posted by: BrokenJeraactually my question was if i still wanted to play the I IV V progression but instead of playing the notes so the sound high pitch playing the notes so they sound lower in pitch would i still count I IV V (G D C instead of G C D).

It doesn't matter where on the guitar you play a G C and D. It doesn't matter how high or low in pitch they are. If you are playing these notes:

g-b-d

Then it is a G major chord and is the I chord of the key of G major.

Likewise if you are playing C major (c-e-g) and D major (d-f#-a) chords, then they are the IV and V chords of the key of G major.

If you are trying to make the chords go up or down in pitch then you need to understand inversions. But even that will not change the fact that those three chords (G - C - D) in relation to one another are always I - IV - V.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 5
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
04/02/2008 9:23 pm
ok i get it. if i wanted to go down in pitch i would still play the same progression(G C D) but i would play them in different octives (and maybe even a few inversions) to get the sound "color" i want.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.