Stage fright..help...

Shreddy Kruger
Shreddy Kruger
11/13/2001 2:36 am
I am playing in the schoool talent show on wednesday and I have huge stage fright. We had a practice run on sunday and i didnt do to badly. I messed up the lyrics, and played some wrong notes. Anyways, that was in front of a few people. The real one will be with many more people and more pressure to do good.

Does anyone have any tips to stop the heart from beating so heavily, or the cottonmouth from occuring. Thanks in advance.

Chris
# 1
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
11/13/2001 11:04 am
I'm a very shy and not so confident person, but the wierd thing is I dont suffer from "stage freight", I get a little nervous, but when I'm on it's ok....
Right, just think of the worst thing that will happen, and remember it will NEVER come to that...
If your playing complicated stuff, make sure you've rehersed it so much you could play it in the dark, cos when your hands shake you'll feel like you've just started playing guitar again....
Try your very best not to think about it on the days leading upto it, as I used to have this problem with my exams (not music related), when you keep thinking about it and about how difficult it is you'll panic on the day...
Be optimistic...
Have fun for GOD's SAKE!!

GOOK LUCK!!

ps if your singing make sure you've had plenty of water and quickly go over some of your stuff before you go on, cos you'll find your voice getting higher and higher the more nervous you get, but getting adjusted is easy..
A teaspoon full of leamon jiuce is suppoused to help, but I've never use so I dont know..
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
11/13/2001 6:14 pm
try to envision the performance beforhand in your head in a positive way, play it through over and over, immersing yourself in every detail. On the day of the show imagine it again before walking on stage, then go out and turn your dream into a reality.
Remember, selfconcouisness kills creativity, be positive in your outlook and remember people are there to be entertained, not to see you fail. Good Luck!
# 3
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
11/13/2001 11:42 pm
Warm up with chords and stuff first. I was playin at the school music thing last month and I was nervous. It helped me just to walk around like I owned the place. Its much harder if your just standing. Make yourself at home
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 4
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
11/14/2001 1:00 am
Just go do it.

Yeah, I know... easy for me to say it.

But the thing is that there's only one way to really beat stage fright: Get up on stage in front of a lot of people and speak, play, sing, whatever, and as time goes by you'll become more and more comfortable. Everyone so far has given good advice. Just absorb yourself in the performance, go have a good time, and you'll come out OK. And remember, no matter how badly you may flub something (hey, it happens), just keep going don't let it stop you: If you screw up a cord or miss a note about 80% of the people won't notice, the other 20% are musicians and know what you're going through. But if you stop everybody will know something is up.

The bottom line: Go have a good time. If you're having fun you're less likely to mess up, if you do you're less likely to care, and the crowd will be more into what you're doing.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
deathfollows
deathfollows
11/14/2001 2:32 am
Probally doesnt sound smart but I start drinking an hour before Im on, that way I lose all my inhibitions by showtime.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.