Here is a conundrum for you all...

Hjorvard
Hjorvard
03/21/2008 10:46 am
Hello, my name is Darryl. I am primarily a metal guitarist of about two years straight. Now my preference for metal usually tends to be extreme, and as we all know extreme metal usually requires a fluent tremolo technique and speed. Here my friends is the conundrum. I was born with an incurable nueromscular disorder which causes extreme muscle tension all over my body, more pronounced in the lower extremities. Though the tension in my hands is so minute it's hardly hindering, it does hinder me just enough to where I am not able to play a clean and fluent single note tremolo riff as is expected of extreme (more precisely death) metal. Humility is not something that comes easily to me, so it has been a hard task indeed humbling myself enough to realize I may never play as fast as I desire. I am a fairly good player with a willingness and tenacity to learn and improve so my overall question is this: Are there any excercises, or scales, or chord shapes, techniques ect ect that will help me improve my overall skill and help me to attain some what of an interesting and technical playing style as I cannot play fast? Noone said death metal has to be fast, but I shall try my best to make it as interesting and technical as possible with the aid of you folks. Thanks for the advice/consideration!
# 1
Fret spider
Fret spider
03/21/2008 5:42 pm
i think speed is due to three main fasctors.

speed of picking hand
speed of fretting hand
co-ordination betweent he two hands.

practice just picking one note and just doin legato to isolate each hand then cmbine them.

now u can improve all the above with better technique. to play more notes per second there are generally 2 things you can do. move more quickly, or make the movements required to pick the string smaller.

im not familiar with your condition so i dont know how much this applies. normally to move quikly one has to be as relaxed as possible. if you are tense then some of your muscles are acting against others. i would suggest playing as fast as you can without tensing up. as soon as there is tension relax. another trick for this is unplug ypur guitar and take it with u all over the place. if u watch tv sit there picking one note over and over again. the fact that your mind is not on your fingers should help you relax a bit more.

so the other way of increasing picking speed is to reduce the movement required to pick the note. try to pick with wrist movement rather than elbow movement. there are other benefits for picking from the wrist (they allow you to place a part of your hand on the strings above the one you are playing, muting them so you can play cleaner) but as speed is your concern i wont go into them.
also they way you grip a pick, and what pick you have may have something to do with it. some people hold the pick in the fingertips. firstly the pick. if you have a soft pick, it will bend more as you push it over a string. this means that you have to move your hand futher. solution use a thicker pick. also try to use the smallest amount of pick when playin. eg dont dig it a centermeter under the string. also some people hold the pick between the thunb and first finger finger tip. i would suggest you hold it between the 'pad' of the thunmb and the side of the ast digit of the first finger. as the pick is now closer to your wrist, less movement is required as any twisting in the wrist will not result in reduced motion of the pick.
other than the above try to make the movements as small as possible.
(also as a note pick witht he wrist, but change strings using the forarm muscle)

on the fretting hand side. the same thing applies to tension, play as fast as you can without tension. again try and make movements as small as possble.

co-ordination is about practice, start slow and work your way up.

as to scales etc any will do. i always like goin 1234 on each string then moving up to 2345 etc.

hope thuis helps
# 2
hunter1801
hunter1801
03/21/2008 6:40 pm
I have no medical conditions....and I still know I will never be able to play like some of the people I look up to. It irritates me, but at the same time I know that I will still enjoy playing the guitar as much as ever, even if I'm not the next Vai or Malmsteen.
# 3
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
03/21/2008 8:32 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spideri think speed is due to three main fasctors.

speed of picking hand
speed of fretting hand
co-ordination betweent he two hands.

practice just picking one note and just doin legato to isolate each hand then cmbine them.

now u can improve all the above with better technique. to play more notes per second there are generally 2 things you can do. move more quickly, or make the movements required to pick the string smaller.

im not familiar with your condition so i dont know how much this applies. normally to move quikly one has to be as relaxed as possible. if you are tense then some of your muscles are acting against others. i would suggest playing as fast as you can without tensing up. as soon as there is tension relax. another trick for this is unplug ypur guitar and take it with u all over the place. if u watch tv sit there picking one note over and over again. the fact that your mind is not on your fingers should help you relax a bit more.

so the other way of increasing picking speed is to reduce the movement required to pick the note. try to pick with wrist movement rather than elbow movement. there are other benefits for picking from the wrist (they allow you to place a part of your hand on the strings above the one you are playing, muting them so you can play cleaner) but as speed is your concern i wont go into them.
also they way you grip a pick, and what pick you have may have something to do with it. some people hold the pick in the fingertips. firstly the pick. if you have a soft pick, it will bend more as you push it over a string. this means that you have to move your hand futher. solution use a thicker pick. also try to use the smallest amount of pick when playin. eg dont dig it a centermeter under the string. also some people hold the pick between the thunb and first finger finger tip. i would suggest you hold it between the 'pad' of the thunmb and the side of the ast digit of the first finger. as the pick is now closer to your wrist, less movement is required as any twisting in the wrist will not result in reduced motion of the pick.
other than the above try to make the movements as small as possible.
(also as a note pick witht he wrist, but change strings using the forarm muscle)

on the fretting hand side. the same thing applies to tension, play as fast as you can without tension. again try and make movements as small as possble.

co-ordination is about practice, start slow and work your way up.

as to scales etc any will do. i always like goin 1234 on each string then moving up to 2345 etc.

hope thuis helps

This does indeed help! Thanks for the advice man!
# 4
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
03/21/2008 8:35 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801I have no medical conditions....and I still know I will never be able to play like some of the people I look up to. It irritates me, but at the same time I know that I will still enjoy playing the guitar as much as ever, even if I'm not the next Vai or Malmsteen.

Yeah I know what you mean. If speed is not something I can vastly improve upon, I'm sure I can adapt. It is great inspiration knowing that the man who invented sweeping only had two working fingers on his fret hand. Then there is another guitarist (whose name I can't recall) whos hands are stricken with an illness in which his fingers curl up, yet he has adapted, and even further still there is Jason becker who is perhaps the greatest inspiration of all as he hasn't given up hope and he is far worse off than I.
# 5
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/21/2008 9:01 pm
I find it easy to go up in pitch really fast because I can use hammer-ons and also because I am able to coordinate my left and right hands easily when I am going up for when I play legato style.. coming back down is where I really suck.. so if you listen to any of my stuff you will see I tend not to come down as fast as I go up. I'm working on it though and when I am in the right mood and relaxed I can actually play just as fast going back down again.. it's just a matter of practise and being in the right frame of mind, and that frame of mind also comes from practise and experience.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 6
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/21/2008 9:05 pm
Originally Posted by: Hjorvard I am not able to play a clean and fluent single note tremolo riff as is expected of extreme (more precisely death) metal.

Who ever said that metal has to be constrained to what other people expect? The whole point of most progressive metal is to NOT conform to what other people expect. Have you ever thought of may be using your inability to do certain things as a bridge to doing things other people would never think of doing because they can do what is expected??

Think outside the box.. this is music.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 7
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
03/21/2008 9:22 pm
i have no real advice only to say this:

when tony iommi cut the tips of his fingers off at work he found newways of doing to same old things.

what i mean by this is find something that works for you, then find the simplest way of doing it. speed is the addiction of the unskilled. you wont need to move faster than any one else if you learn how to play better than any one else. if you dont have them go get 'ride the lightning' and the 'black album 'by metallica. then start looking at and compairing the tabs/ music for both and youll see. jamez plays alot slower on black but it sounds way harder and heavier.

i dont have any major nueromusclar disoders but i have a pinched nerve some where in my left hand that causes pain in my ring and pinky fingers. i cant take pain killers all the time so i have found ways of doing things so i dont have to use those fingers as much.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 8
Fret spider
Fret spider
03/22/2008 1:17 am
Originally Posted by: HjorvardThis does indeed help! Thanks for the advice man!

no probs glad i could be of help
# 9
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/22/2008 1:49 am
There's a few of things you can try.
Three note per string scales is one. Another is getting proficient at sweeping.
Another is using economy picking
Lastly, doing tapping leads.
I have a similar sort of problem with my left hand. Whenever I press my first finger down on a fret, my pinky automatically shoots straight out. There's nothing I can do to stop it so there's no way for me to keep my fingers close to the frets at all times so that I can get up to speed.
So I basically I just learned tapping so I could imitate any lead I wanted. Once you get good at it you can't tell the difference and there's a whole bunch of stuff you can do with tapping that's impossible with regular playing.
Plus the exercises are extremely fast and really tone up your left hand in a hurry.
# 10
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/22/2008 10:35 am
The other thing you could AND should try anyway is to create a unique style that does not depend on speed but replies on other less frequently used techniques. Tapping is a good one, you can actually tap heavy rhythms - they will sound legatto but will also sound cool, sweep picking is another and us of the whammy bar is another, advanced pinch harmonics is another great one. Another unused one in death metal that lots of high brow players use is finger picking with medium to low gain using a good sound suppressor. It gives a totally different sound but played with a blast beat or fast double bass it all of a sudden sounds very technical.
Most death metal guitarists are very poor musicians and have nothing beyond fast alternate picking - that's why they get very boring very quickly. Take away the production from a lot of these bands and they all start to sound the same so you could focus on exploiting your limitations to open a broader canvas of techniques - I guarantee you would open a lot more eyes and ears with that approach. If you focus on becoming an expert in using other techniques then your whole style will shape into something original, this is a far better way to look at playing in the long run.
# 11
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
03/23/2008 5:52 pm
Originally Posted by: light487I find it easy to go up in pitch really fast because I can use hammer-ons and also because I am able to coordinate my left and right hands easily when I am going up for when I play legato style.. coming back down is where I really suck.. so if you listen to any of my stuff you will see I tend not to come down as fast as I go up. I'm working on it though and when I am in the right mood and relaxed I can actually play just as fast going back down again.. it's just a matter of practise and being in the right frame of mind, and that frame of mind also comes from practise and experience.

Hmm I shall have to try that myself, and you definitely are right man. I've been practicing like crazy lately.
# 12
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
03/23/2008 5:54 pm
Originally Posted by: light487Who ever said that metal has to be constrained to what other people expect? The whole point of most progressive metal is to NOT conform to what other people expect. Have you ever thought of may be using your inability to do certain things as a bridge to doing things other people would never think of doing because they can do what is expected??

Think outside the box.. this is music.

This statement is actually very inspiring to me and you're right again. I've actually been looking into different techniques and styles to find ways to do this.
# 13
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
03/23/2008 5:56 pm
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorThere's a few of things you can try.
Three note per string scales is one. Another is getting proficient at sweeping.
Another is using economy picking
Lastly, doing tapping leads.
I have a similar sort of problem with my left hand. Whenever I press my first finger down on a fret, my pinky automatically shoots straight out. There's nothing I can do to stop it so there's no way for me to keep my fingers close to the frets at all times so that I can get up to speed.
So I basically I just learned tapping so I could imitate any lead I wanted. Once you get good at it you can't tell the difference and there's a whole bunch of stuff you can do with tapping that's impossible with regular playing.
Plus the exercises are extremely fast and really tone up your left hand in a hurry.

I've worked with basic three string sweep patterns so far, and I've recently been applying six string sweep patterns to my practice regimen. Now I've heard of economy picking but I don't know exactly what that entails. Could you please clarify?
# 14
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
03/23/2008 6:03 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanThe other thing you could AND should try anyway is to create a unique style that does not depend on speed but replies on other less frequently used techniques. Tapping is a good one, you can actually tap heavy rhythms - they will sound legatto but will also sound cool, sweep picking is another and us of the whammy bar is another, advanced pinch harmonics is another great one. Another unused one in death metal that lots of high brow players use is finger picking with medium to low gain using a good sound suppressor. It gives a totally different sound but played with a blast beat or fast double bass it all of a sudden sounds very technical.
Most death metal guitarists are very poor musicians and have nothing beyond fast alternate picking - that's why they get very boring very quickly. Take away the production from a lot of these bands and they all start to sound the same so you could focus on exploiting your limitations to open a broader canvas of techniques - I guarantee you would open a lot more eyes and ears with that approach. If you focus on becoming an expert in using other techniques then your whole style will shape into something original, this is a far better way to look at playing in the long run.

This is some great advice and you're definitely right about the whole death metal thing. There are alot of great bands (Death, Asphyx, Pestilence, Cynic and Atheist) that play outside of the box if you will and these are some of my favorite bands. This is realy great advice. Thanks!
# 15
Fret spider
Fret spider
03/23/2008 6:18 pm
econimy picking is basically putting together alternate picking, and sweep picking together. you always pick towards the string you want to play. this means that you willl not nessasarily play strict UDUDUD but might play UDUDDDUDUU. or somtheing like that

for example you would play the following riff

...D U D U .U U U D U. D U U D U .D .U
--9-7-5-7------------------------------
-----------6-----------------------------
-------------5--------9-----8-------------
---------------7-8-10---------7-10-8-----
------------------------7------------------
--------------------------8-----------------

made that up on spot without lookin at guitar so probably sounds horible but hey, its an example. it means that you have to move the pick less as you always take the quikest path to the next string. the only thing to be carefull with is it is harder to keep a good rythm (in my opinion) with econimy picking, people tend to rush the swept bits. but yeh a very good thing to master, which will also open up sweeping muchh more to you as i wont feel like switchin between seperate techniques.
# 16
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/24/2008 12:41 am
My understanding of economy picking is, when you play on one string, you use alternate picking.
When you go to the next high adjacent string, you always start with a down stroke.
You never deviate from this pattern until you go backwards from high to low strings.
Going backwards you use alternate picking.
This picking technique minimizes energy in hand movement by using one pick stroke to cross from one string to the next highest string.
# 17
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/24/2008 8:28 am
Originally Posted by: HjorvardThis is some great advice and you're definitely right about the whole death metal thing. There are alot of great bands (Death, Asphyx, Pestilence, Cynic and Atheist) that play outside of the box if you will and these are some of my favorite bands. This is realy great advice. Thanks!

Those are some of the best death metal bands right there, particularly Cynic - others to include would be Carcass (the later albums), Nocturnus and Necrophagist. Check them out for some extreme fretwork.

PS I just discovered that Cynic have reformed, they played the Eindhoven fesiteal last year - you can get most of the gig on youtube - bloody excellent stuff! Also, there is a very strong possibility that a new album is in the wings:-) This is the only reform that has gotten me excited - can't wait to hear the new material!
# 18
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
03/24/2008 7:51 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanThose are some of the best death metal bands right there, particularly Cynic - others to include would be Carcass (the later albums), Nocturnus and Necrophagist. Check them out for some extreme fretwork.

PS I just discovered that Cynic have reformed, they played the Eindhoven fesiteal last year - you can get most of the gig on youtube - bloody excellent stuff! Also, there is a very strong possibility that a new album is in the wings:-) This is the only reform that has gotten me excited - can't wait to hear the new material!

Hahaha I was raised a metalhead so I am well aware of those bands as well...I do know that cynic has reformed, so has pestilence and Carcass is doing a couple reuinion shows in England! Carcass would definitely be a band I'd want to see live.
# 19
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
03/24/2008 7:53 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spidereconimy picking is basically putting together alternate picking, and sweep picking together. you always pick towards the string you want to play. this means that you willl not nessasarily play strict UDUDUD but might play UDUDDDUDUU. or somtheing like that

for example you would play the following riff

...D U D U .U U U D U. D U U D U .D .U
--9-7-5-7------------------------------
-----------6-----------------------------
-------------5--------9-----8-------------
---------------7-8-10---------7-10-8-----
------------------------7------------------
--------------------------8-----------------

made that up on spot without lookin at guitar so probably sounds horible but hey, its an example. it means that you have to move the pick less as you always take the quikest path to the next string. the only thing to be carefull with is it is harder to keep a good rythm (in my opinion) with econimy picking, people tend to rush the swept bits. but yeh a very good thing to master, which will also open up sweeping muchh more to you as i wont feel like switchin between seperate techniques.

Thanks for the help! Seems kinda tough at first but I'm excited to get to work on this!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.