View post (Here is a conundrum for you all...)

View thread

Hjorvard
Hjorvard
03/21/2008 10:46 am
Hello, my name is Darryl. I am primarily a metal guitarist of about two years straight. Now my preference for metal usually tends to be extreme, and as we all know extreme metal usually requires a fluent tremolo technique and speed. Here my friends is the conundrum. I was born with an incurable nueromscular disorder which causes extreme muscle tension all over my body, more pronounced in the lower extremities. Though the tension in my hands is so minute it's hardly hindering, it does hinder me just enough to where I am not able to play a clean and fluent single note tremolo riff as is expected of extreme (more precisely death) metal. Humility is not something that comes easily to me, so it has been a hard task indeed humbling myself enough to realize I may never play as fast as I desire. I am a fairly good player with a willingness and tenacity to learn and improve so my overall question is this: Are there any excercises, or scales, or chord shapes, techniques ect ect that will help me improve my overall skill and help me to attain some what of an interesting and technical playing style as I cannot play fast? Noone said death metal has to be fast, but I shall try my best to make it as interesting and technical as possible with the aid of you folks. Thanks for the advice/consideration!